THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You mean the bacon fat in general, or the part about keeping it in a bowel?:mrgreen:

Yep, having a laugh with Dave over the typo.
Everyone knows bacon fat stored in a bowel tatses like chit...:laugh:

Down here we grew up with a tin can full of lamb or mutton fat which we called "Drippin's"...we would even spread it on fresh thick cut buttered bread!

Love me some chicken & dumplings! Your look great, Paul! Great history on the family farm and great traditions you guys have for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

You need to come to Illinois sometime for some big corn fed bucks! That is about all Illinois has to offer!

Thanks for posting about your family property and that cook! Both are incredible!!
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you post a thread about your family property before? I think I remember it and was in awe of the history and all the photos you shared that time!!

If I can ever put it together, I would love to order a smoker, drive out and get a tour of your land. It would be better then going to Disneyland or franklins for this city boy.

Happy New Year!!

Yep, having a laugh with Dave over the typo.
Everyone knows bacon fat stored in a bowel tatses like chit...:laugh:

Down here we grew up with a tin can full of lamb or mutton fat which we called "Drippin's"...we would even spread it on fresh thick cut buttered bread!

Damned tablet don't spell any better than my desk top computer.:mmph:
Dave

What an awesome post. I was joking with my wife the other day that my next Christmas present needed to be one of your smokers, now that I've seen some pics of your property and the bit of history you shared I might need to stop joking so I can come check the place out!

I remember my aunts cooking being a lot like that. I spent a lot of time at her house as a kid after school, as both my parents didn't get home from work until late. I had dinner there every night. She grew up poor, depression era...and I remember everything being from scratch and nothing going to waste. Looking back I was a dumb arse kid and didn't pay enough attention to how it was done...I was always more concerned with the eating part and not so much with the cooking part! I did learn a lot of lessons about hard work and not wasting anything and those have served me well.

I've come to realize over the last few years I need to try to grab some of this history before it's too late. My aunt has been gone for some time and the rest of my relatives are getting older. I recently had a daughter and want to be able to pass these things on to her. I've been trying to get recipes collected and ask as many questions as I can about food, history, old stories, etc... So far I can make some mean pierogi and homemade noodles. Next up is Grandma's egg pancakes and my aunts kolaches. I'm trying to learn all this BBQ business so I can add my own chapter to the history of our family while carrying on all that came before me. My goal is to one day have a place where I can have a big family gatherings like yours, where everyone can get together and cook so it can all be passed down from generation to generation.

Thanks for sharing, and thanks to the others that shared. This thread is the reason I love this site, not only is it BBQ, recipes, advice, and some good natured ribbing, but all the stories that go with all those things. Sorry to go on a rant and semi-highjack the thread, but I really appreciate stuff like this!

Although I did pick up a lot of my cooking from my Mom, I still wished I had paid more attention, also from a couple of my Aunts they were all great cooks, and could make any meal taste like it cost a lot more than it did. My kids are all calling me at least a couple times a week these days wanting to know how to do something, which is my chance to pass along not only some of the traditional foods, but shopping tips to get the most bang for the buck, none of them cared to know what was happening or how it happened, in the kitchen when they were at home, but having said that they are also turning me on to some really good food they have discovered on there own, I am loving it.

My Son who's wife had a bad accident a week before Thanksgiving, and is bed ridden with two ankles destroyed and a broken arm, is calling a lot. She did not cook much, but now that they are down to almost no income, he has to tend to her doctor visits and misses a lot of work, and of course she can not work, so he has three kids and her to take care of, and he now realizes he needs to cook meals to save money instead of the way they used to do the fast food they got used to.
Dave

Mo-Dave sorry to hear about your daughter-in-law.... I hate to hear that

I wish i knew ho to quote more than 1 person at a time.. This post is good for me because i get to peep in some of your Lives.... Anyone and i mean anyone are always welcome at our place.... Yall have neat stories also... Love to read all the response.. And yes this place is awesome...i feel guilty because i am on my phone and do not know how to quote all of you... You deserve a response.. Forgive me .. At best .. I am doing my best.... There are a few recipes i so wish i had got from my mom.. Get them while you can guys..... And Gals..... Thank all of you if it were not for you i would be absent from here.......Happy New Year

Mo-Dave sorry to hear about your daughter-in-law.... I hate to hear that

I wish i knew ho to quote more than 1 person at a time..

As you scroll through the thread, click the button to the right of QUOTE. The center one. it will turn red. You can do this to as many as you like and when your ready to respond just click the quote button on one post you want to respond to and all the one's you clicked on will appear to multi quote. Hope this helps. Im just learning this after being hear for 4 years. :rolleyes:

She will be ok but her life will be much different from now on. Don't feel bad about the quote thing, I never been able to figure it out, a couple times I made it work, but I know not how.:icon_blu
Dave

Truly an enjoyable post in loooong time. Love the food,family,home and the tradition. About as good as it gets or matters in this life.

Thanks for sharing Paul.

Paul, thanks so much for this post. Reading the story, and looking at the photos brought me back home to our family farm when I was a little girl. I remember I used to love hanging out in the barn during milking, and squirting a little milk to one of the barn cats who always seemed to show up for the event. The things that entertain you when you're a kid! :laugh:

My grandma taught me to mix and roll the dough, and cut the squares for dumplings. It was her grandma's recipe, and I still use the same one today. They never do come out exactly the same when I make them, though, because grandma's recipe was so old, I guess it was before she ever had actual measuring cups. The recipe called for "scoops" rather than cups, and she only had one size scoop. She'd always put in so many scoops, and then add "maybe a little more" if the dough seemed too wet depending on current humidity, I guess. Anyway, trying to equate "cups" to "scoops" has been a challenge. I still don't know what the actual measurement would be, so I find myself adding "maybe a little more" just the way she used to. They always come out great. :thumb:

Donnie's comments about the flour smudges on Sharon's hands struck a note with me, too. Looks just like grandma's and mine when we made the dough. My daddy always said you knew you were cheatin' while making the dumplings if you walked away from the kitchen counter without "flour on yer belly". :becky: Isn't that the sweetest expression? Still not real sure exactly what he meant, but there hasn't been a time when I've made them that I didn't manage to get flour on my belly, on my arms, on my face.... lol. Making dumplings was never the neatest job in the kitchen. :rolleyes:

When you made mention of the coffee can with bacon grease in it, I never gave it a thought. Mine isn't in a coffee can or on the stove, but I've always had a mason jar full of "drippin's" in the fridge. Guess that's not the common place most other folks keep theirs, but my mama always had me putting it there when I was young, and just never did anything else. Takes a few seconds longer when I put it in the skillet, but still tastes just fine. :grin:

Chicken and dumplings was the first chicken meal I ever learned to make, and was what my grandma called "a teachin' dish" because it showed me how to cut up a whole chicken so that every single part of the chicken got used, and nothing went to waste. She didn't believe in buying "parts" at a market because they'd charge so much. "Besides", she used to say, "yer gittin' gyped out of yer bones and yer fat if'n ya don't git the whole thing. How're ya gonna make yer fixin's without the good stuff? Hmmm?" :confused:

Grandma showed me how one chicken would make several meals, and stretch the family budget. My dad was the youngest of nine kids, and was born in 1928, so his earliest memories are of the depression. My parents and grandparents were all about stretching the family budget, and passed that on to me and my four brothers. I remember they were always resistant to using paper towels because they felt it was a horrible waste of trees and paper. My mom and dad do use paper towels in their kitchen now, but you'll always see at least one or two damp paper towels drying on the counter to be used a second time in their kitchen... and in mine. Old habits die hard. :wink:

Grandma taught me to cut the chicken into pieces. She'd say, "You use them breasts for yer fancy meal when yer beau comes a courtin'." lol Legs and thighs were for batter dipped fried chicken dinners. Backs, butts, necks and wings with the skin left on were for stewing to make soup. She showed me how to skim the fat off to be used for the rue when starting the dumpling gravy. The bones were saved to make the stock for soup and the dumpling gravy. Not a single thing went to waste. She taught me well.

Thanks, grandma! Not a day goes by I don't think of you, and miss you. And thanks, Paul and Donnie, for the nudge to reminisce about all of it again. What a pleasant post this has been! :hug:

As you scroll through the thread, click the button to the right of QUOTE. The center one. it will turn red. You can do this to as many as you like and when your ready to respond just click the quote button on one post you want to respond to and all the one's you clicked on will appear to multi quote. Hope this helps. Im just learning this after being hear for 4 years. :rolleyes:

Very helpful Thx....

Although I did pick up a lot of my cooking from my Mom, I still wished I had paid more attention, also from a couple of my Aunts they were all great cooks, and could make any meal taste like it cost a lot more than it did. My kids are all calling me at least a couple times a week these days wanting to know how to do something, which is my chance to pass along not only some of the traditional foods, but shopping tips to get the most bang for the buck, none of them cared to know what was happening or how it happened, in the kitchen when they were at home, but having said that they are also turning me on to some really good food they have discovered on there own, I am loving it.

My Son who's wife had a bad accident a week before Thanksgiving, and is bed ridden with two ankles destroyed and a broken arm, is calling a lot. She did not cook much, but now that they are down to almost no income, he has to tend to her doctor visits and misses a lot of work, and of course she can not work, so he has three kids and her to take care of, and he now realizes he needs to cook meals to save money instead of the way they used to do the fast food they got used to.
Dave

Sorry to hear about your daughter in law Dave. She is included in our prayers for a rapid and full recovery.

Back