Chicago Char Dog - Pics

LYU370

Resident Idjit

Batch Image
Batch Image
Staff member
Name or Nickame
Andy
Thought I 'd enter the Dog Days of Summer Throwdown as well. Can't have a hot dog throwdown without a Chicago dog in it. Since I couldn't do the traditional "dirty water" dog, a char dog it is...

Gather your ingredients. All beef natural casing dogs, poppy seed buns, yellow mustard, chopped onions, neon green relish, tomato wedges, pickle spears, sport peppers and celery salt.

34796431164_da88c8ed4d_b.jpg

Make about a 1/4" slit in the end of each dog. Most hot dog joints do this for their char dogs.

34796430384_42eb5df64b_b.jpg

Because when you char those baby's up, this happens.

34796429914_d1def88ec0_b.jpg

Steam your buns and build your dog. Add some sweet potato fries seasoned with some Duck Salt and you've got yourself a meal.

34796429024_1f2c4cc68d_b.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
Went to the winter brethren get together last January and could not find the natural casing dogs. Everyone carried the plain ones, where did you find them. I even called Vienna and they could not tell me any stores, just suppliers. We looked all over Oak Brook

Actually now that you mention it, it looks like Vienna are no longer natural casings but appear to be skinless. I though I was missing that snap. Hadn't bought dogs at the store in quite some time, so I assumed the Vienna dogs still had a casing. Will have to look at what other brands of all beef dogs are available around here.

Back