Chef wanted

I can't think of a single reason to order a steak in a dining establishment. Not one. Therefore I'll be moving along.

This.

When I was a kid I thought I didn't like steak because no one ever cooked it right...not my parents, not the restaurants we went to. Not relatives. Nobody.

At this point...if I want steak I go to the local butcher shop, pick out some ribeyes, strips, or tbones, and grill them myself. I've never had a better steak than what I can do at home...even in a nice steakhouse. I don't waste my money buying cooked steak anymore.

I know of a good number of high-end steakhouses that require every steak to be checked with a thermometer in order to guarantee doneness. If you are preparing a steak that costs you $10-15 to bring it in, are you going to trust touch alone, and then be giving away free steaks and other comps if the grill cook is having an off night? Its your own risk. Ive worked the grill at many places, and have rarely missed on what the customer expected, and I do it by touch. I also dont use a thermometer when Im preparing pork butt or brisket, I let the meat tell me when its done. And whenever I work somewhere that does a lot of steaks, I also set up my grill to be hotter at one end and gradually cooler towards the other. So if I have a table that has a medium rare steak and a well done steak, I put both steaks on at the same time and they come off at the same time. I dont have steaks waiting to go on or out. So how can anyone tell me how long to cook their steak?

But I think the original question is what do the general public know, and that is most people know what they want it to look like and the terms used to describe it. The average person rarely knows the thermometer temp of how they want their steaks. And really the server should have just been able to ask how they would like the steak prepared and not worried about the semantics of doneness or temperature or bothering the chef to see how to do her/his job. Then that lets the customer decide how to answer the question (Medium, 160, or bloody as hell).

(been cooking since I was 28. Of course you dont know if Im 30 or 65, so that doesnt really tell you that much about my experience...)

In one of my past lives, I cut, trimmed, and cooked thousands and thousands of steaks...
Never got one single order "by temp". Not one.

A good grill chef is hard to find in my area! Their range is:
Rare=Blue on the inside still quivering
Medium Rare= Bleeding and warm
Medium= what is Medium?
Medium well= Brown inside charred outside
Well= cremated/charcoal

My mother overcooked all meats Pork chops were shoe leather, steaks weren't much better. When I worked in a restaurant, I started eating medium well teaks, and now I am down around medium. My buddy likes to cook his steak 2 minutes on each side and serve. I have tried, but I cannot do that. I think it tastes like liver, which I like, but not when I want steak. He won't eat liver....???

I only use a thermometer to test meat I serve others or when I want to take a guess on how long I have to finish.

Only once have I had a steak at a restaurant that was superb and that was at "Charlie's Steakhouse" in Orlando. Aged beef and someone that knew how to cook it. Other than that, if I'm dumb enough to order steak somewhere, I eat what they bring me and decide after that if I will return or not. I eat 95% of my meals at home.

I keep this picture in my wallet and just give it the waiter to give to the chef.

Attachments

• IMAG0170.jpg
    IMAG0170.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 28
Speaking specificaly of the Napa Valley, I watched the town of Napa transform from a sleepy little agricultural town to a flaming yuppyville in the 25 years I lived and worked there. Weekends are overrun with self proclaimed "Foodies" dining in a lot of very over priced but acclaimed restaurants. Both my sons started their culinary training and careers there.
Back to the point, the standard pretty much world wide is to order by doneness. An experienced grill man can determine this by touch. An experienced diner knows that cooking a proper steak is not an exact science.

I have been overeating for over 60 years. Do I qualify as an experienced diner?

Speaking specificaly of the Napa Valley, I watched the town of Napa transform from a sleepy little agricultural town to a flaming yuppyville in the 25 years I lived and worked there. Weekends are overrun with self proclaimed "Foodies" dining in a lot of very over priced but acclaimed restaurants. Both my sons started their culinary training and careers there.
Back to the point, the standard pretty much world wide is to order by doneness. An experienced grill man can determine this by touch. An experienced diner knows that cooking a proper steak is not an exact science.
There are some restaurants that are every bit as good as the acclaim and the price. Not a lot, but, some are quite good. Then again, I have eaten at a lot of steak houses in the SF Bay Area, and if I am honest, they are all terrific, and their steaks are outstanding. Sadly, one of my favorites has had to be cut, as they have not been keeping up.

Back