THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You're in SoCal so I'd highly suggest cruising CL, Offerup etc. You will find it soon enough. I scored this Berkel 12" 827e for $400. It was used only a few times. Came with the manual and everything.

ZAPHTXhh.jpg

One last thought. I have very limited counter space. For the approx. 15 times a year I use my slicer, this one is easier to store and take out when I need. Not pushing to sell the little ones, just trying to help. If someone gave me a Hobart, I would have nowhere to put it and would need help getting it out where I could use it when needed.

One last thought. I have very limited counter space. For the approx. 15 times a year I use my slicer, this one is easier to store and take out when I need. Not pushing to sell the little ones, just trying to help. If someone gave me a Hobart, I would have nowhere to put it and would need help getting it out where I could use it when needed.

Thats my biggest issue i have with my Hobart. Not only is it big and takes up too much counter space, but its also heavy AF. For that reason i had to build a cart with heavy duty wheels that i keep down in my basement wrapped in a huge leaf bag so it doesnt get dirty. Its a pain, but i don't use it very often, but when i do, i do things in large batches to make it worthwhile. Plus i got it off CL for $150 and the electronic switch it needed was $50.

Thats my biggest issue i have with my Hobart. Not only is it big and takes up too much counter space, but its also heavy AF. For that reason i had to build a cart with heavy duty wheels that i keep down in my basement wrapped in a huge leaf bag so it doesnt get dirty. Its a pain, but i don't use it very often, but when i do, i do things in large batches to make it worthwhile. Plus i got it off CL for $150 and the electronic switch it needed was $50.

God I miss having a basement!!!! You got a great deal on your machine!

God I miss having a basement!!!! You got a great deal on your machine!

I got lucky with the Hobart, that's for sure. My basement not so much. For some reason only half is concrete, the other half is cobble stone ( house was built in 1901 ). We finished the ceiling and walls though. But it still gets damp if i don't have the dehumidifier going.

It's a 1612 manual slicer btw.

Like most things out there, you get what you pay for. Save up and buy the best.

Totally agree. I started by trying to find the cheapest of what I needed for sausage making, slicer, vac sealer, and quickly realized if you use it alot the cheapest ends up costing an enormous amount of extra time and effort.

I have that Beswood that was mentioned. It was gifted to me by a bunch of my friend. It's massive, a pain to clean, and heavy. I have nowhere to really keep it where it's easy/useful, so it just sits in the bottom of a closet and gets used maybe once every 18 months.

If it was smaller like those chef choice options? I might use it more. Actually looked at a slab of beef bacon yesterday at Restaurant Depot, and decided against it, only because I didn't want to deal with the slicer.

I agree with picking up a quality slicer second hand. Like mentioned above, make sure everything is there and in working order.

I've picked up 6 slicers through Craigslist and Marketplace through the years. I picked these up last month for $75/piece.

Screenshot-20230619-085826-2.png

I am hunting offer up and CL now for a quality slicer, I really appreciate all the info from you guys, I have learned a lot from you over the years and obviously am still learning.

I am hunting offer up and CL now for a quality slicer, I really appreciate all the info from you guys, I have learned a lot from you over the years and obviously am still learning.

I'm not a Facebook user but I use my wife's spare Facebook account for Marketplace. I'm a junkie for a deal or when I need something that I can get secondhand. Unfortunately 90% of most items I find come from Facebook Marketplace. If you can find a way it's worth watching on Marketplace.

I have a Chefs Choice 609 - around 100$. Newer models should be similarly priced. It's not a gourmet slicer for see-through razor thin slices, but it has worked well for me.

VHEGairh.jpg

LaGe8RKh.jpg

I've had the 615 for nearly 10 years now and works great. It's discontinued, but that looks a lot like it. :-D

Back