Charcuterie Thread

Well, I guess I need to take advantage of the bump :becky::becky:.

Technically "pancetta tesa" I suppose.........basically I had a chunk of belly left over from squaring off a side for bacon and decided to cure it. Just straight sea salt for a couple of weeks, rinsed, and hung in the chamber until it lost 30% of the raw weight. The thin pieces got a little hard, but that was to be expected.

LKCHJZT.jpg

Now you're talkin', Joe! Looks amazing. :cool::thumb:

I'll play....cured some pork butts a while back. Made some pretty decent ham.....

Hard to beat homemade ham. Looks fantastic!

Looks good Dan. Joe - how is it you can cure with just sea salt?

Not trying to sound like a smart ass, but that is how it was done for years and years. I go with 2.5 % sea salt of the weight of the raw meat. I think this was in the salt for about 10 days if I remember right. Rinsed, pat dry, and hung in my chamber at 55 degrees F and 75 -80% humidity until it lost enough weight.

I usually only use cure #2 if I am making something in a casing. With whole muscle cures, I don't bother with it. Hope that helps.

Not trying to sound like a smart ass, but that is how it was done for years and years. I go with 2.5 % sea salt of the weight of the raw meat. I think this was in the salt for about 10 days if I remember right. Rinsed, pat dry, and hung in my chamber at 55 degrees F and 75 -80% humidity until it lost enough weight.

I usually only use cure #2 if I am making something in a casing. With whole muscle cures, I don't bother with it. Hope that helps.

NOT AT ALL, no smartass, we know Norwegians and Eskimos salt and dry on racks their fish and game - thank you.

The poor feller in Alaska in "Into the Wild" just smoked his food, never salted it, and that's why it went bad, and He with it.
Thanks for the update!!

I hoped you were going to post a pic here. Looks amazing Joe! Well done! :cool::thumb:

Thank you! I haven't been too active on here lately. I am happy to see some good mold going again in there again. It sat empty for a while and then I gave it a good cleaning and that seemed to kill the good mojo I had going in the past. All the white on the pepperoni is naturally occuring and makes me happy. :mrgreen:

This thread is incredible. A lot of you guys have serious talent. I'm going to have to try some charcuterie someday!

Back