Charcoal + wood chunks in pellet smoker

PhoKing

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
PhoKing
Has anyone tried using a smoker box or container to light a few charcoals and wood chunks? This is what I’m thinking...

To get a more intense smoke flavor use a smoker box with 1 lit charcoal a few unlit charcoal With a piece or two of wood chunks on top of it? Place this contraption on the grated near the meat. Thoughts?

Something like this: DKS Smoker Cooker Box for Grill | Turn Any BBQ Grill Into A Smoker | No Propane or Charcoal Needed | Provides All The Heat and Smoke to Cook Any Food (64 cu inches) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S2THGJD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IqmWEb4W8AKVP

You are either a pellet cooker or you are not. I'm thinking you are not. :mrgreen:

Maybe I haven’t found the right pellets yet... lol. I haven’t been able to get that nice dark hard crust or smoke ring like I did with my Weber.

I tried this with a propane smoker. The charcoal doesn't smolder like you think it would. It became a secondary heat source and my smoker quickly went to 400+.

Maybe I haven’t found the right pellets yet... lol. I haven’t been able to get that nice dark hard crust or smoke ring like I did with my Weber.
Pellets are only part of it. Method plays a huge role too, as does the pooper itself. What one do you have? How hot are you running it?

I would try an A-Maze-N tube. It can really boost smoke favor if used correctly.

You are either a pellet cooker or you are not. I'm thinking you are not. :mrgreen:

I think there’s a lot of truth to this statement...not necessarily about the OP, just that a pellet grill isn’t a WSM/offset/UDS/etc.

I’ve come to appreciate my pellet grill for what it does really well and accept what it doesn’t do as well. I’ve used a pellet tube, I’ve let it smoke for 2 hrs at the lowest temp, I’ve spritzed constantly...the smoke profile still is nowhere near what a WSM will give you. Still makes great bbq with a nice mild smoke.

My friend you are heading down a rabbit hole, but the payoff is worth it! I wrote a long post about my hybrid pellet-wood chunks smoker conversion.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271248

E5E375BE-470B-4EFF-9249-649B7F07799D.jpg

The challenge is that you need a setup that enables you to access the wood chunks during the cook. In my case, I attached the pellet hopper to the firebox of an offset smoker so access is a breeze. There are other possibilities though. Look at what this guy did with a kettle grill.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mlRzzRMr1Q

Then you have to decide which method you are going to use. You can either burn separate charcoal basket that fires the chunks and sits along side of the pellets (see pic above) or the simpler way is to just burn the wood chunks right on top of pellet fire pot (See the video).

I started using the first method, but find myself using the direct burn method more often now. Less hassle and same flavor.

And yes, the fully combusting wood chunks definitely make a difference in flavor and smoke ring! The smell is incredible!
77E553E4-FD49-4F5C-9D08-764D8A0A1A80.jpg

Lumber Jack makes a Char-Hickory pellet. I think they still sell it. I think Pit Boss sells something similar as well.

I find it easier to have a couple of pellet tubes and load them with chips. I get about an hour and a half of burn time out of each. Smells much better than pellets to my nose. When one tube goes out I have the next ready to go.

There are "after-market" diffuser plate replacements which allow for you to burn chunks without having to go through all the trouble you're describing.

https://smokedaddyinc.com/product/the-heavy-d-stick-burning-heat-diffuser/

Here's a video of the guy showing off the product...this way everything is contained and controlled .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ex4GD_l-5Fc

This is exactly what I am looking for. You sir are awesome. I will have to give this a try. Just wanted something to add a bit more smoke to the cook.

Pellets are only part of it. Method plays a huge role too, as does the pooper itself. What one do you have? How hot are you running it?

I have a Zgrills. I run it at 225 and it’s verified by another thermometer. Don’t get me wrong food still turns out great. By no ways am I complaining just trying to better the process and outcome.

I would try an A-Maze-N tube. It can really boost smoke favor if used correctly.
+1

They work great. The maze works too but it takes up too much grate space. I use the adjustable-length tube and set it to the front-to-back distance of my cooker. I can then light it and put it along the right edge of the grate, taking almost no space.

Has anyone tried using a smoker box or container to light a few charcoals and wood chunks? This is what I’m thinking...

To get a more intense smoke flavor use a smoker box with 1 lit charcoal a few unlit charcoal With a piece or two of wood chunks on top of it? Place this contraption on the grated near the meat. Thoughts?

Something like this: DKS Smoker Cooker Box for Grill | Turn Any BBQ Grill Into A Smoker | No Propane or Charcoal Needed | Provides All The Heat and Smoke to Cook Any Food (64 cu inches) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S2THGJD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_IqmWEb4W8AKVP

You have quite a few options to choose from to add extra smoke flavor to your pellet grill experience. Many will have their own opinions on what works best for them. For many, tubes while adding pellets to them, works very well for adding that extra smoke flavor. Some Pellet Grill Owners have even tried putting wood chunks and lump coals on top of the heat diffuser in their grills, trying to add some real hardwood smoke flavor.. Going that route with the ignition of the wood chunks and coals can result in your grills temps running WaY above your desired set temp. Not a good thing to have happen. I tried the tubes.. Nice, but to me, it was just more pellet smoke. I tried the wood on the heat diffuser and I even tried the wood burning heat diffuser... Pretty much the same results, out of control temps... Finally and lastly, I bought the SmokeDaddy Magnum P.I.G. Cold Smoke Canister and it’s made a huge difference in the smoke flavor profile of my bbq. You can Cold Smoke and Hot Smoke with it and you’re burning charcoal and natural hardwood for the extra smoke flavor. If you’re coming from a stick burner and know how to manage a fire properly, then adding a SD Magnum PIG Canister to your pellet grill, just might the answer for you. Give the Pellet Tubes a shot first. Also try using quality, 100% wood type pellets like Lumberjack 100% Hickory and a few others and see if that adds the smoke flavor you’re missing. I’ve had great results using the SD Magnum P.I.G Canister. It’s like having a pellet grill when you want one and a stick burner when you want and need one at the same time. Funny, you’re either a pellet cooker or you’re not... Perhaps not... :becky: With My pellet grill, I can do both. Good luck in your efforts.

Back