charcoal lump vs briquette

So far I have no experience with Lump. Quality lump is harder for me to find in my parts than good ol K. I recently purchased an offset and started my last cook with an unlit chimney of K, topped by a lit chimney of K followed by seasoned cherry wood. After a few hours the K was gone and my fire was solid cherry wood. My pit has a removable ash tray that I can slide out and empty without even opening my firebox door so ash is not an issue. HOWEVER, I recently purchased BBQ 25 by APL and see that he does all of his grilling with lump. I am going to purchase lump for grilling and maybe start using it as a coal base in the offset. Will probably stick with K for the UDS because I KNOW how it will respond and know what it can do. Thankfully I know now not to get Cowboy because that is what is available to me and I would have bought it before. Not now.

Last edited:
Well if you love your Lump that is great but really Briquette are the best way to go. (Don't hate).

There are two aspects that we are looking for in our cooking: Heat and Wood smoke.

For heat we want easy control and stable temps. Everyone will agree that briquettes are best for that.
(Barring the extra ash, and good briquette have little more than lump)
The other is a good smoke, and here is the rub. The Lump enthusiast will tell you that their lump has better "smoke" and in a way they are right but for all the wrong reasons.
All Charcoal is wood (big pieces for lump or saw dust compressed for briquettes) that has been cooked in a low Oxygen environment. With the likes of Kingsford Briquettes this process is complete, that is all the wood has been turned to charcoal so you get very little smoke and long even heat.
With the Lump you get small pieces fully converted but some of the larger lumps are not fully converted so you still have some wood inside, this wood gives off the smoke. Great but no two bags are the same, some have oak, some have hickory, and some have old bits of a desk.
I believe that you want charcoal for HEAT, and you should add you own wood to flavour, not rely on Royal Oak etc. to give you the “Right” of even “Consistent” amount of wood in your cook.
Also remember that in lump you get all sorts of foreign objects, 3 rocks in my last bag, but I have seen bits of PVC pipe come out of some. I am sure there is different levels of quality control but you will always be at risk with lump. You also have a lot of dust (this adds to the weight of the bag but not to your cooking time or heat)
Further with Lump you are always trying to get consistent amounts of charcoal. Many people feel that the lump burn hotter, this is because when you first get it going you have lots of surface area with all those small pieces, but once they all burn up, your burning surface area drops and you get lower temp output.
If you want higher temps there 3 easy options,
1) more charcoal (it will be hotter, last longer and stay hotter)
2) move closer to the coals (either raise the coal bed/box, or drop the gill either way hotter temp and consistent
3) More air, burns more, burns hotter, briquettes still stay consistent longer
When I first started I drank the cool aid and burned Lump, No more. Each to their own and work with whatever is best for you but I believe that Briquettes beet Lump every day in every way.

Good luck to all,
C :-D

Old thread....REVIVED! lol

I started with lump and will stick with it. A pretty good rated lump that is local at lowes is Frontier USA brand.
That charcoal review placed rated it well and I agree.

i started out using kingsford briquettes when i got my first smoker 5 years ago. then i started trying lump and i liked it better. i bought my WSM 3 years ago and have only used lump in it and have no problems keeping temps consistent. i buy in 10lb bags and rarely have to use more than one bag for an 8 hour cook. smoke flavor is going to come more from the wood chunks than the charcoal

Hey, I figure if we can push this thread to a new page, no one will know the difference :wink:

Another benefit not mentioned is what happens with a reverse minion. I've never had a problem with KBB and the Minion, but added more unlit is bad news. Never a problem adding more lump

Back