Charcoal Debate.....

I have and do use both lump and briquettes, and I can't tell a difference in taste. My wsm and kettle chug right along no matter what type of fuel I use. Kbb and frontier lump are most readily available, I use them both regularly and am quite happy with either.

The charcoal i use for longer cooks is Stubbs. For just grilling I use kBB...still using some from last years Labor Day sale at Lowe's.
When using lump I have been using RO. My local Walmart keeps it in stock year round.

I moved to lump for WSM cooks.
In my kettle for L&S I prefer using briquettes because I only apply minion method and briqs ensure better contact and stadier temp.
For grilling, again briqs are my favorite because they produce less heat.

Bout 2 months. my smoker runs Thursday till Saturday night every weekend. I was buying wicked good lump (which I love) but it is very pricey. I ran a few tests and could not tell a difference between wicked good ($22 for 22 pounds) and carbon del sur ($9 for 18 pds).

it does remind me if Wicked Good, but I think Wicked Good is denser and burns longer.

But that comes at a price. I think Carbon Del Sur is an excellent alternative.

I get it shipped directly from the manufacturer, but he has a deal with restaurant depot, they are only in some stores though. The closest to you would probably be Charlotte, they have it for $8.99 a bag.

I have been working with Osvaldo Guzman who is the owner or Carbon Del Sur since the RD I go to doesn't always seem to have it in stock

That has been straightened out and he has been keeping in touch with me.

From what he is telling me it should soon be available at all RD's if it isn't already

I had gone to their facebook page and inquired about it not being in stock, he contacted me right away to work out the issue.

Back