Char-griller offset problems

I have a BBQ-Pro offset smoker and after fighting with plain briquettes and lump charcoal for a few months I switched to apple wood and that is what I use exclusively. I admit it takes some finess to make sure the wood burns hot enough for the good blue smoke, but it is all I have at the moment. That vertical charcoal box looks interesting, though. I might try that next time. I also bought two remote thermometers, one that is locked to a max temp of 170 (for turkey) and a second one that can be set for 230 to monitor the cooking chamber. I stick the chamber probe into a potato and set it on the grate next to the meat pointing slightly up. I can monitor both the meat and the chamber from inside the house and if my chamber temp goes over 230 I get an alarm.

I don't smoke BBQ with my CG Outlaw w/SFB since I built a UDS. However, the charcoal grill can be used as a baffle, which is almost a necessity if you are cooking more than two racks of ribs and need the space near the FB. Set the end of the charcoal holder that's in the main cooking chamber higher on the end near the firebox than than the end farthest away from it. But, even with that, it will require a lot of TLC to keep the heat between 225 - 275 F.

Don't give up on off sets just because you have a CG. I have a Silver Smoker, similar to yours as it is a COS, and HATED it at first. With patience and some modifications it is now a pleasure to use. Fuel hog yes, but produces the best flavor of any of my cookers, WSM, UDS or the Mini Reveres Flow. Mods to consider on yours: Tuning plates and a charcoal basket will be the best places to start. A wind block is a must as these all leak like a sieve and on cold days a wool blanket laying on top of the smoke chamber helps a lot. The thermo that came with mine was so bad the manufacturer did not even try to make one that was close to accurate. It had no numbers on it at all, just Warm, Ideal or Hot ranges on the scale! You will learn so much from these cookers regarding fire management that I think they should be standard starting equipment for everyone!

I like my vertical, seems like it's more responsive to adjustments in air intake and way more fuel efficient, check out my post from last Sunday "pressure tank smoker" if you are looking to build something different

One mod that I made to help it not be so greedy was to change the door. The thin metal door warped under heat conditions and allowed it to suck air around it thus burning way to much fuel. I built a new door out of 3/16" steel plate and put a 2" ball valve for control. It still requires too much tending for my liking but I use my uds for long cooks.

There is a mod that I have seen on other forums that I plan to do in the near future. It helps with the leaking lid... you use a stove gasket to seal it up. From what I can tell, you install it to the lid with rivits and seal it with some hi-temp calk. Has any one on here attemted this? Also, has anyone tried using some ceramic paint on the inside of the lid? Such as those found in the automotive stores (I guess to paint your headers)...

To me, nothing beats the flavor of que out of an offset smoker. I have been using the same on for at least eight years. Yes, I have done most of the mods mentioned throughout the Forum. I made a deflector; I made an extension for the stack down closer to grill level; and I sealed the smoking chamber with high temp silicone and wax paper. I get 5-6 hours out of 8.8 lbs. of lump charcoal. And I love the flavor of the que that the time and care yields. :thumb:

Ye Olde: How did you apply the silicone? How many burns have you done with it and how is it holding up? Any pictures that we can see?

Dude that was my 1st pit and believe it or not I actually won a local BBQ Comp on it… 1st place out of 33 teams (no big names but still pretty good).
Do you have the added side box? Have you got the football shape stamped cut outs punched out on each side? (You only need one side). You have to have air flow, starting from the bottom by the coals up through the stack.
I think this maybe your problem cause it is a dayum good cooker for the price and starter guy… Still I advice sell all and buy a large egg.

Back