Char-Griller Duo S5050?

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Does anyone have any knowledge about this unit? I'm looking to unload a Santa Maria and get something smaller for burning briqettes and wood chunks and I also want to get a gasser for weeknights. This unit looks real handy.

That is the one My mother bought cause she wanted gas and charcoal. I never used the gas but i did a turkey on the charcoal part. That thing leaks like no ones business (COS) You will have to watch it for temp spikes because of all the air leaks. Their are some modifications that makes it a better smoker that i found on some other website. Good luck though

I probably wouldn't do low and slow on it. I have a Traeger for smoking. It would just be for regular backyard bbqs.

Yeah, I checked out the grill in the store- the quality seemed to be on par with the regular chargrillers, which isn't bad (maybe a little lower), but the grates are not cast iron. the regular char grillers use cast iron, but this one doesn't. Not that big of a deal, but to me that makes a difference.

I would check out the brinkmann version that is very similar to this.

For my money though, if you don't mind having two grills, that's what I would do. Get a used weber off craigslist or even two new grills(be it weber or non weber) in the store.

I have had one of these for 5 years now and could not be happier. Yes, it has air leaks that make temp control a little more of a challenge but with limited space on my deck this makes the most sense for me. I can gas during the week when I don't have the time, and can charcoal on weekends. I added the side mount fire box when they were on sale so I can "smoke" easier. It is heavy so the wheel mods are a must imo, but when on sale at lowes it is a good buy and fits my needs to perfection. There are much better charcoal and better gas units out there but for the money this is a good unit to "cut your teeth on" to see how well you like to tend the fire with the convenience of gas on the side. Also, the side burner makes an excellent lighter for your chimney starter!
Lola

I too own this unit with a side firebox and am extremely happy with it. I learned low n slow with it and am now (what I feel to be) very comfortable cooking on anything. It has it's quirks, sure, but overall it's a sturdy unit and very convenient to boot.

My .02

Works good for me. Burners get nice n hot! Air leaks yes. got a good deal at Loews. Built a UDS and didnt buy side box. Best duo out there I believe. Other versions have very thin metal.

Thanks everyone! I think I may go for it. My son and his gf are moving out and all i'll have is the Santa Maria and the Traeger. I def need a gasser and this seems like the best option for me now.

You could always do a weber performer. It's charcoal, but with the propane assist, it gets goin pretty darn quick and its hands down one of the best grills out there.

Back