Char griller charcoal baskets

I can't see Jazzspot's diagram. Am I alone with the issue?

I would like to build a basket for SFB. I am tired of the hourly feed sessions.

The pic they have posted on that link has got to be the worst product pic I've ever seen! In fact, I'm not sure they could have done any worse if they had tried to! lol

91vw03 - Thanks! I figured that was probably how it would be used.

I agree, but it does the trick and fits the CG side fire box well.

Char-griller mods

I have a char-griller duo w/sfb and I'ved done a few mods to it and it seems to work good. I made a basket out of expanded metal scraps and it measures 12x 12x6" high and is about the largest you can fit inside the door. I removed the 2 angles that hold the top grate. I drilled and mounted them on top of the existing angles that hold the bottom grate and this gives you more surface for the basket to sit on. I also modified the top vent by bringing down to grill level , that way smoke fills the top chamber and not go out the vent. I used some 3" alum. flexible dryer vent and fastened to the lid using hose clamps.I also used the bottom charcoal pan as a heat baffle. I turned over the pan and hung it upside down by the original handles. I used foil to make a seal between the pan and the side of the cooker, that way the heat is distributed throughout the chamber. I'm still having some issues with the ash drawer that doesn't close tight. I use foil to seal up the drawer. All these mods seem to work good and my burn time has been about 7-8 hours. All of these ideas came off the Brethren site and you can go to the bottom of the page to the google spot and type char-griller mods. There is a wealth of info there!

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• 100_0420.jpg
    100_0420.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 438
  • 100_0408.jpg
    100_0408.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 435
  • 100_0412.jpg
    100_0412.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 429
  • 100_0413.jpg
    100_0413.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 427
  • 100_0414.jpg
    100_0414.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 426
  • 100_0417.jpg
    100_0417.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 423
  • 100_0418.jpg
    100_0418.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 425
  • 100_0407.jpg
    100_0407.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 424
  • #1 Butt 001.jpg
    #1 Butt 001.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 424
  • #1 Butt 002.jpg
    #1 Butt 002.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 425
Pigman> I was thinking about adding baffels to mine, to increase the burn time. I'm surprised you don't get more. What size is your basket? I thought about cutting 1x6 out of hickroy logs for baffles. That way as burns, it adds smoke!

D-Rell> You would do better to go a sheetmetal, or welding shop.They probably will have some 1/8" scraps around.It will last longer. Most places like Home Depot or Lowes would only have 14-16 ga. it's kinda thin. I'll bet if you go to those welding shops just before lunch and bring them some Q they'll probably make it for free or at least at a fair price.

Good Luck!!:biggrin:

Here is one I picked up from Lowes. Real easy and workd great.

I dropped by Lowes and grabbed me one of them thingys, cept mine has a sort of 1/2 moon loop on one end and the handle monting bracket @ the other... works pretty good! Don't expect that I'll get all that many smokes out of it but it'll do for now.

Another added feature is that if you just set it on top of the charcoal rack that comes with it (turn it the stock rack upside down) it will still allow for the drawer to slide out.

IMG_0132.jpg

6 hr burn is all you can get out of it.. I start the coals in the corner by the smoker and let it burn backwards which helps on the longer burn. The flex exhaust vent helps bring the smoke and heat back down to the meat height. also you want a deflector pc between the fb and the chamber. Do a search on my threads on chargriller and you will dind pron and emenisions on all mods for the chargriller.

i'll be making my basket this weekend as well as trying to find an oven gasket. I have been to 3 local stores with no luck.

Back