Champion BBQ Pitmasters won't eat their own competition food - now I get it

I used to compete and never grew tired of eating bbq but did get very turned off by the competition food. It was way too sweet, full of stuff I didn't want to eat and for some reason you have to turn a $200 piece of wagyu brisket into something which tastes like pot roast in order to do well. No thanks.

I'm not the best cook in the world, but I can tell you that our brisket doesn't taste like pot roast. We used to have that problem, then we figured out how to fix it and our scores went up.

I used to compete and never grew tired of eating bbq but did get very turned off by the competition food. It was way too sweet, full of stuff I didn't want to eat and for some reason you have to turn a $200 piece of wagyu brisket into something which tastes like pot roast in order to do well. No thanks.
I can guarantee you the briskets that are winning at any given contest today do not taste like pot roast. Nor have they ever unless you got lucky.

I think the biggest difference between our comp bbq and the bbq we eat regularly is just how we finish it to go in the box. I don't have any issues "eating" the meat we cook for the comp. However, what I take home to eat doesn't get hammered with finish to be one bite bbq. Oh, and we use MSG, but it is gluten free. :razz:

What I dont get is people coming into comp section that are obviously not cooks OR Judges, and slamming us or how we do stuff. What is the point?

Jealousy.

The "I used to compete but I don't anymore because (fill in lame excuse here)" Translates to "I used to compete but I wasn't that good and wouldn't put in the time and money it takes to be good at it. So I complain that competition bbq isn't what I think it should be"

I can guarantee you the briskets that are winning at any given contest today do not taste like pot roast. Nor have they ever unless you got lucky.

Really? You can guarantee the briskets at any given contest which are winning do or don't taste a certain way? That's pretty amazing.

Jealousy.

The "I used to compete but I don't anymore because (fill in lame excuse here)" Translates to "I used to compete but I wasn't that good and wouldn't put in the time and money it takes to be good at it. So I complain that competition bbq isn't what I think it should be"

:roll:

Really? You can guarantee the briskets at any given contest which are winning do or don't taste a certain way? That's pretty amazing.

Well Travis was ranked #1 in the brisket TOY points for teams with 10 contests or less...so I'm guessing he might have some clue as to what winning briskets are tasting like.

What I dont get is people coming into comp section that are obviously not cooks OR Judges, and slamming us or how we do stuff. What is the point?

To be fair, this thread started in QTalk, but since it is competition-specific it was move here.

Pot Roast is not what you're after. If you're trying to say it's impossible to know that on any given week a brisket that may taste like roast beef wins a contest...ok, fair enough. It's not winning consistently though.

If you used to cook then you already know you're cooking to please the judges, not your taste buds. It helps if your palate aligns with theirs though. Pot roast brisket doesn't work too well in my part of Tx.. glad to hear from some of the comments that typically doesn't win in KCBS.

Franklin wrote that he hardly eats BBQ anymore. He is mostly outside tending the fires. There is only so much of BBQ that you can (or should) eat, in my opinion. When I do a brisket, it lasts for a month or more after the first meal. Its not something I want every night.
I think the example of Aaron Franklin is an excellent one. He writes in his books that for brisket (as an example) it takes so long to cook one there's no just butting in and getting a piece. As well, he sells literally every one he cooks so there's not much leftover. And he comments that brisket is mostly a lunch item: way too heavy for dinner for his tastes. To summarize, he makes tons of them every week, literally every hour of every working day, and there isn't much laying around that isn't generating cash. And at the end of the day he's tired of the smoke and the usual suspects in flavors. He loves making it: but hardly ever eats it.

If I make just one brisket, as one of the posters wrote, that lasts me a month or more. Take care with things you love not to do them too much: we will all tire a bit.

Well Travis was ranked #1 in the brisket TOY points for teams with 10 contests or less...so I'm guessing he might have some clue as to what winning briskets are tasting like.

Now I’m only like 56th in the country in brisket cooking a total of 12 comps this year but I’d have no clue what scores..... better turn in pot roast tasting brisket.

Now I’m only like 56th in the country in brisket cooking a total of 12 comps this year but I’d have no clue what scores..... better turn in pot roast tasting brisket.
Since you can guarantee the taste of a winning brisket at any given contest at any given time, I'm shocked that you're only 56th. Beating a dead horse is fun...

Back