THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I like to soak my wood in cider for awhile and then cook on it. No amount of soaking or preheating will keep the wood from burning. Kinda like the whole idea behind soaking your wood or using dry wood for smoking. I only soak now becuase I like the added flavor it seems to give the fish.

I'm still new to the Plank cooking thing, only done it a couple of times and it seemed to turn out OK.

The hard part to believe is how good the flavor of cedar actually tastes using this method.
You would think it would taste like crap, but it surely doesn't.

BBQchef33 said:
i serve it on the plank. Put some foil underneath the plank before you rest it on anything.. Its heavily charred and will wreck a tablecloth in seconds.

Wreck one tablecloth and you hear about it the rest of your life. Thanks for the tip!

jpw23 said:
I tried that once.......the OL still brings it up from time to time, jeez...burn the carpet just once and you hear about it the rest of your life!!!:biggrin:

Try making a batch of sausage in a "Little Chief" electric smoker in the basement. That was over 20 years ago and still gets brought up once in awhile.

Thanks to you`s bros, I was sent on a good path to make some good grub. I soaked the plank for a good 2 hrs in wtr. Placed a 2lbs+ slab of coho on it and coated slightly with apple cider vineger. Then coated with some brown sugar and a good coating of Paul Prudome`s Salmon Seasoning. Topped with thinly sliced oranges. High pre heat and throughout the cook for about 25 minutes. Served with mashed potato/sweet potato mix with garlic and a side of sugar snap peas. .................. This is what I got.

Attachments

• DSCF0948.JPG
    DSCF0948.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF0950.JPG
    DSCF0950.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 37
  • DSCF0954.JPG
    DSCF0954.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 37
Looks damn good Qczar, making me hungry, and I just finished a rib eye steak. Love the color, can almost smell the salmon and the cedar.

How did the orange slices effect the taste of the fish. I personally feel that the fish picks up the bitter taste of the pith (white crap under skin) and it offsets any positive flavor benifits. But I also think I may be really senstitive to that taste.

Rockaway BeachBQ said:
How did the orange slices effect the taste of the fish. I personally feel that the fish picks up the bitter taste of the pith (white crap under skin) and it offsets any positive flavor benifits. But I also think I may be really senstitive to that taste.

Hmmm, I really did`nt notice it being bitter, but I know what you mean. It tasted a little sweet from the brown sugar with deffinitely a sweet orange flavor added. I noticed that when it was fully cooked, the 'pith' was shrunk down to hardly anything. The seasoning I used had some sugar in it too. I think a lot of the flavor comes from the carmelazation.

Don`t know if I would do anything different next time?

My wife makes a Irish cream sauce to put on the salmon. You could almost throw the salmon away and eat the sauce. Seems its butter, brown sugar and Irish cream( can sub french vanilla creamer not powder) Man is it good. I also throw a touch of brisket rub on the salmon to give it a bit more color. Pauls salmon magic rocks. Man im hungry now. guess I bette go find some salmon for tonites dinner.

Back