THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jeanie - that looks amazing, as always! More than that, I'm always impressed by your ability to invent new cooking toys! Your posts (and the content on your blog) inspire me to get out and be creative.

I've actually been craving some hush puppies with some green chile in them...think I'll do that when my daughter comes home from college for spring break.

And with this post...I'm now a full fledged farker. Thanks to the brethren for all the education. Someday, I'll give back more.

Jeanie I'll take your non-fancy over anybody else's fancy every single time. Catfish is one of my favorites and I loves me some hushpuppies as well. I'm loving how you catch and clean the fish, build the cooker, and cook the meal - that's a real woman right there! :clap2: You rock! :rockon:

Had catfish and hushpuppies at a local joint the other night that was pretty good but that looks awesome and makes me hungry for fish again!

Thank you Mike, Buccs and Matt!

If you want more fish in your freezer, so you can invite all of us, go fishing in Italy.
screen-shot-2015-02-24-at-5-18-21-pm.jpg

Wow! Not sure I would want to bring that one in... I'd probably drop my line and run. :laugh:

I would have no problem eating that whole tray!
Hushpuppies are on my short list of things to try as well. I think I have a recipe floating around somewhere.

Great cook Jeanie and you fixed up your cooker too!
Thank you Sam! The little cooker works a lot better now. :) Hope winter is treating you well!

Thank you Snapper and Shinka! :grin:

Are you sure that you're not from the Gulf Coast?? Looks dang tasty, ms Jenie
Gerard, I was at the gulf recently... really enjoyed the fresh seafood down there. You've got it made. Thanks friend! :-D

Thank you Blue, Chris and Jack!

Jalapeno Hush puppies and fresh catfish. Life is good!!!

Adams, thanks! Hope you aren't buried in snow today. It's getting deep up this way. :becky:

Thank you PapaQ, George and Jim.. :thumb:

Jeanie - that looks amazing, as always! More than that, I'm always impressed by your ability to invent new cooking toys! Your posts (and the content on your blog) inspire me to get out and be creative.

I've actually been craving some hush puppies with some green chile in them...think I'll do that when my daughter comes home from college for spring break.

And with this post...I'm now a full fledged farker. Thanks to the brethren for all the education. Someday, I'll give back more.

Thank you Trout Bum! I've definitely enjoyed your posts and recipes. I appreciate what you contribute to the forum! Your green chile sauce is still my favorite. :thumb:

FC BBQ, thanks so much. I have too many cookers but I seem to use them all. :-D

Jeanie I'll take your non-fancy over anybody else's fancy every single time. Catfish is one of my favorites and I loves me some hushpuppies as well. I'm loving how you catch and clean the fish, build the cooker, and cook the meal - that's a real woman right there! :clap2: You rock! :rockon:
Greg, for a second I thought you were going to say "that's a real redneck right there". :laugh: Thank you for the kind comment.. :hug:

All those beautiful pictures and no recipe? Well done Jeanie and I love your outdoor cooker.
I forgot to post the recipes, will do that asap Terry, thanks!

Ray, thank you Friend! :-D

Had catfish and hushpuppies at a local joint the other night that was pretty good but that looks awesome and makes me hungry for fish again!
I've eaten catfish in your state, you all know how to cook it up right. Thanks HOG FAN! :-D

I'm not gonna lie, I'm not a fan of fish. But that looks amazing. And I could do some serious damage to those puppies.

Great job
Will, thanks! Sometimes cold beer and hush puppies are all a person needs. :-D

All those beautiful pictures and no recipe? Well done Jeanie and I love your outdoor cooker.

For the catfish coating I eyeball it, combine cornmeal with a little bit of flour, cayenne, salt and lemon pepper.

For the hushpuppies, I mix 1 cup of flour with one cup of cornmeal, a heapin' tsp. of baking powder, a pinch of salt.
Then add 2 eggs, enough milk to make a thick batter, minced jalapeno, corn and onions. I usually just eyeball it but this is pretty close to the measurements. :-D
Thanks again Terry!

No, no, no. Thank you Jeanie. It must get tiring, us all wanting to steal your recipes, but that's what you get for always making great looking food!

Had to put a new burner in my fancy cooker. The old burner lasted a long time, it's a burner from an old hot water heater....but it was time to replace it.

The cooker is made from a section of pipe, rebar legs, expanded metal and the burner. It's not pretty but I love the thing, it works great. :)

The old burner...

25b2182d-d7ac-4a7e-9ecc-9aa9b752a968_zpsagcfh3ju.jpg

0dbe6f6e-0571-4514-9c87-58a4d0ada479_zpslsbbizu1.jpg

decided to try it out on some of the catfish I caught this summer...

The fishin' hole...

7e83b2ce-1952-4e3f-9f72-92d6b3292255_zps4da2laa4.jpg

56587e33-625d-4d40-a7d6-71f0d56a6ba7_zps87ffedq0.jpg

The snow has melted so I cooked on the patio...

8e41391f-b70c-486a-8d1c-9ccbb2ead4af_zpszsvlcbo9.jpg

trimmed and seasoned the fish...

30d426fa-d3ad-434e-b29a-cfdd88ca7015_zps1q9omnqb.jpg

d6d4e10a-d353-4d45-9547-ef817d753502_zpsbpv9hplz.jpg

hushpuppy batter... I like onions, corn and jalapenos in mine.

164f5f1e-6b57-4773-a445-9b2a2afbce15_zpsg7uvfts7.jpg

b30c37cc-0790-4067-a777-83bd5e58c260_zpsgep7akx2.jpg

bfda3320-a528-4ae3-b221-eb0ba620934f_zpszfxufh1p.jpg

6ff191b7-0da8-4e23-8f54-18d7e3f418e2_zps8ezf7wy0.jpg

92e255b9-2b80-4ab7-9585-330f5e71e52b_zps1jeixnim.jpg

0f81478e-0610-4674-86c5-c3227a796864_zpsvzhubr5v.jpg

That's pretty much it... catfish, hushpuppies and a cold coors light for supper...

73009a59-f23c-425c-a6b8-12ee41b30b7e_zpsdohmxlex.jpg

88e18179-0228-4b8c-a57f-650a19f9c1b1_zpsjaw4tn0t.jpg

1ca71cca-c21c-4f8a-a446-51528315e467_zpszmkvyqmg.jpg

Another non-fancy meal but I enjoyed it. It was a nice reminder of summer and the lake. I'm ready to go back! :)

Thanks for looking!

The hushpuppies look amazing and something I've never tried before. Will you share the recepie and some instructions as it's definitely one to add to my to cook list :)

Ma'am, that grub looks phenominal. Killer cook for sure :clap: If you need some help eating it, I'm just a plane ride away!!

No, no, no. Thank you Jeanie. It must get tiring, us all wanting to steal your recipes, but that's what you get for always making great looking food!
Not tiring at all Terry! My cookin' is pretty straight forward simple. Thank you for the kind comment! :hug:

I too have the fishin' fever. Your cook looks great!
Love the fish photos you post in WP! You've really got it made. Thanks Toast! :becky:

Bly, thank you very much!!

ttix, thank you too. Hope you take pic for me when you go!

The hushpuppies look amazing and something I've never tried before. Will you share the recepie and some instructions as it's definitely one to add to my to cook list :)

Thank you Parm!
Here is the basic recipe for the hush puppies..

1 cup of flour with one cup of cornmeal, a heapin' tsp. of baking powder, a pinch of salt.
Then add 2 eggs, enough milk to make a thick batter, minced jalapeno, corn and onions. I usually just eyeball it but this is pretty close to the measurements.
I combine the dry ingredients first, then add the beaten eggs and milk. When the batter is fairly thick, I add the corn, onions and peppers.
Drop by spoonful into the hot oil and cook until brown.
Check the first one, break it open and make sure it's cooked through. If it's still raw you can fry them at a lower heat to make sure they are cooked.
Hope that makes sense. Let me know if it doesn't! :grin:
Good luck and thanks again Parm!

Ma'am, that grub looks phenominal. Killer cook for sure :clap: If you need some help eating it, I'm just a plane ride away!!

SGH, thanks so much. I could have used your help with these! lol

I've eaten catfish in your state, you all know how to cook it up right. Thanks HOG FAN! :-D

Did it happen to be at The Catfish Hole?

Back