Cast iron grate for 22" kettle?

Im getting an idea to make my own 22 1/2" round grilles out of 1/2" x 1/8" angle, that would be usable on either side. One side would be concave up, similar to the Agentine style grill that was on here a few months ago, the other would be convex or pointed side up... anyone got any thoughts on something like that before I spend some bucks on materials?

Im getting an idea to make my own 22 1/2" round grilles out of 1/2" x 1/8" angle, that would be usable on either side. One side would be concave up, similar to the Agentine style grill that was on here a few months ago, the other would be convex or pointed side up... anyone got any thoughts on something like that before I spend some bucks on materials?

1/2" angle laid flat would be about .7071" across. If you leave a 1/4" space between the angles, it would be .957" (almost a full inch) between grill marks on the convex side. That would be hard to use for burgers or fish. Concave side up the marks would be about .530" apart on each piece of angle. You would have to space them at .360" to equal that spacing between the angle pieces. Thought that might help you decide if that will work for you.:mrgreen:

Sorry! I wasn't trying to hijack, just tryin to help!! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
100_2816.jpg

Slick set up.

Weber used to make a cast iron grate, with an insert grid with flip up sides.

100_2817.jpg

I've got one of those grates (the outside part) and I use my Lodge CI grate on/in it. The CI grate sits a little lower than it would if it were the weber one... but that just makes for better grill marks.

Its actually pretty good to see this thread show up. A friend of mine has a forge and I have been talking with him the last couple weeks about starting up a site and making Cast Iron grates for weber grills.

Its good to know there is interest out there and not just one of my odd ball idea's. He is not into BBQ, Grilling or cooking of any kind and just could not understand why someone would be willing to buy a 50-75 grate for a gill that at the most is 140.00. I used the analogy of his 1100.00 AR-15 with over 2k in accessories.

Any idea what the cost is in dollars? I would love one of these for my $10.00 green weber!

Heres the german site for that cast iron grate set.

http://www.gussrost.de/

Its very versatile as you can also put griddles and baking stones into the frame.
I dont like the thick frame though, with the grates inserted that makes for a more than 1,5 inch wide cast iron "cross" right through the grill area and i suppose everything that touches that wide hot spot gets totally charred.

If anyone want one of those, let me know. Maybe i can bring some to the Jack in October.

DM

Back