Carnitas on the MAK/Blackstone combo

Sooner21

is one Smokin' Farker
I've contributed a bit in the MAK appreciation thread, but these were so good it needed it's own. If I knew it would've turned out so well I would have taken a lot more pics. Everyone was in agreement this was one of the top things we've eaten all year, and as a family we cook a ton. Overnight pork shoulder on the MAK seasoned with SPOGOS and MAKs Chipotle rub. This was the first time using the MAK rub, and it was perfect for the end product I was after. After a three hour rest I pulled the shoulder and threw it on the Blackstone to get nice and caramelized. The tortillas were awesome too - a corn/flour blend that held up extremely well. I thought we had cotija cheese, but we didn't. Good old cheddar here, but they were still crazy good.
5f4f62a4964b08ea0130681ef6b360ec.jpg

ac5b37870dbde15ea145ce6a00bc47c2.jpg

99a4e670677f33a97bb5c8bf40d26dc3.jpg

73d771440e20d32c651919d6309a299b.jpg

3510d5c95fd22523de77325a9256777f.jpg

5b0a3c40f5739e410fa63105e502b87a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great job - just what we’d expect from a Sooners fan...

I have some MAK chipotle rub. Also unused. What’s the flavor/heat profile like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great job - just what we’d expect from a Sooners fan...

I have some MAK chipotle rub. Also unused. What’s the flavor/heat profile like?

I shy'd away from using it, because I have a 4-year old and thought it would be too spicy. Once I actually tried it there really wasn't anything to fear. It's not spicy at all, and kind of reminds me of Head Country rub a bit without that little smokey flavor. I think it will work very well with things that are going to be used for other meals after a cook. It was perfect with SPOGOS for these carnitas.

Thanks for the info. I’ll definitely try it. Just didn’t want to put it in play in the wrong situation... kinda like to know what to expect - especially if cooking for others.

Thanks for the info. I’ll definitely try it. Just didn’t want to put it in play in the wrong situation... kinda like to know what to expect - especially if cooking for others.

Where's the fun in that??? Really - I think it's going to be an all around very versatile rub. Big Sooners news on July 4 - hope football isn't canceled this year.

Fun fact: I played a ton of baseball tourneys in Davis, OK when I was young.

Back