Carne Asada Tacos w/ Fresh Homemade Tortillas

I'd like the recipe as well. Looks great!!!

Here you go:

Salsa roja para tacos
4 roma tomatoes
2 Tb oil, separated
2 generous handfuls of Chile de Arbol, the majority of seeds and stems removed
3 garlic cloves
4 Guajillo chiles – as is, don’t remove seeds or veins
4-6 tomatillos
¼ tsp ground cumin
½ tsp oregano (Mexican is preferable)
¼ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves
Salt to taste

Place tomatoes in a small saucepan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, place 1 Tb oil in a medium –sized skillet on medium heat, and fry de arbol chiles for 1-2 minutes. Stir constantly so that chiles are fried well and change colors, and also to keep burnt chiles to a minimum. Lower the heat if necessary. Once done, remove chiles and place on paper towel to drain. Next, add remaining Tb oil and place guajillo chiles and garlic in skillet and fry for 3-5 minutes, again stirring constantly. When done, garlic should be slightly browned. Remove chiles and garlic to paper towel to drain. Place tomatillos in same skillet and allow to roast/fry until skin is blistered and tomatillos are cooked through. When done, they will change to a more yellow color and a softer texture.

Remove cooked tomatoes to a plate or bowl and allow to cool to room temperature, reserve cooking liquid. When done, remove tomatillos to a plate or bowl and allow to cool to room temperature. Once all ingredients have reached room temperature, place all (including herbs, spices, and seasonings) in the blender jar with 2-3 cups of cooled cooking liquid and blend well. Salsa should be smooth with specks of dried chile. Additional cooking liquid may be added to taste. Check for salt – this is important. Chiles are extremely absorbant, so keep adding salt and tasting, until the salsa reaches a “bloom” where you can taste all the ingredients. Serve with tacos of your choice.

I love this place. There are so many really great cooks posting pics of really great meals and then even giving you the recipes, which, also, are really great.:-D

Thanks Moose!

Moose, Dude! Thanks so much for giving the rest of us some great stuff to cook. I have used several of your recipes/guidelines multiple times. This just looks awesome. I just pulled out some some sous vide flap meat out of the freezer and wish I had seen your post before dinner. Thanks.

That looks amazing. Thinking that might be dinner tomorrow. I never thought about making my own tortillas but think I will since there's a Vallarta right around the corner from me.

Back