Carne asada tacos, round 2, this time with flap meat

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Can’t get tacos out of my head, and had a hankerin’ for street corn and other traditional sides, so I made a trip to a nearby Mexi-mart. I’ve never cooked flap meat before, but it was on sale and looked good. It was thinner than most skirt steak I was used to cooking, but it plumped up nicely while cooking.

I used the same marinade as the other night, but this time gave my Weber 26” some love, Jeaous Devil briqs. Grilled cactus and onions, street corn with cotija cheese and tajin seasoning. Herdez Taqueria Roja street sauce. Twas good :thumb:

Well, it was < 1/2” thick so I’m thinking these probably weren’t a candidate for that :thumb:
I hear ya. Flap can range in thickness depending on the butcher, or cow i guess?

But man, if done right, i would take flap over ribeye every day of the week, twice on sundays.

Btw, your taco's look delicious so don't think i am dissing them.

Btw, your taco's look delicious so don't think i am dissing them.

Oh I know, no worries :thumb: the pictures I saw indicated it would be thicker, but there, they were fairly thin. I don’t know if that’s just how those cows were or the way the meat was processed. The Mexican butcher counters tend to slice things more thinly to suit the type of dish the customers are cooking.

The Mexican butcher counters tend to slice things more thinly to suit the type of dish the customers are cooking.

Yep, I still have no idea how to cook some of the meat from the local Mexi-Mart. But some of the other meat is awesome. Only place I can find some Chivo (goat).

Nice! Going to school on this too!

Btw, what is flap meat? The store we shop at has meat cutters, not butchers, but if they have the primal they can cut it for us. A few years back they started putting out skirt steaks, and we fell in love with them. Then they disappeared, never to be seen again.

Looks really good. We have several Hispanic markets around here. However, at least for me, there is quite a language barrier. The labels for the meat are written in Spanish and the guys behind the counter don't seem to speak or understand English. The meat displays look really good and most of it is already marinated or seasoned. My son works with a Mexican feller and he told him to just go in and ask for Fajitas Marinada and I would be fine. He told my son he just buys raw meat and marinades/seasons at home. He keeps talking about trading tamales for ribs, but I can never get him to do it.

Any guidance on what they call the various cuts of meat would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Back