4 TEASPOONS GROUND CORIANDER
1 TEASPOON DRIED OREGANO, PREFERABLY MEXICAN OREGANO
3⁄4 TEASPOON CAYENNE PEPPER
1 TABLESPOON MOLASSES
LIME WEDGES, TO SERVE
SOUR CREAM, TO SERVE
FRESH CILANTRO LEAVES, TO SERVE

DIRECTIONS:
Place the chilies in a large bowl, pour in the boiling water and stir. Let sit, stirring occasionally, until the chilies have softened, about 30 minutes. Transfer half of the mixture to a blender and blend until smooth, about 1 minute. Add the remaining chilies and water and blend until smooth, scraping down the blender as needed. Measure 1⁄2 cup of the chili puree into a small bowl, cover and refrigerate until needed. Pour the remaining puree into a medium bowl and set aside; do not scrape out the blender jar.
Pour 1⁄2 cup of the remaining water into the blender, cover tightly and shake to release all of the puree Place the pork in a large bowl. Add 2 teaspoons salt and the chili-water mixture in the blender. Stir to coat, then cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Heat the oven to 325°F with a rack in the lower-middle position. In a large Dutch oven over medium, heat the lard until shimmering. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic, cumin, coriander, oregano and cayenne, then cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the remaining 1⁄2 cup water and the chili puree. Add the pork and any liquid in the bowl. Stir to combine, then cover the pot, place in the oven and cook for 2 hours.

Remove the pot from the oven. Uncover, stir and return, uncovered, to the oven. Continue to cook until the pork is tender, another 11⁄4 to 11⁄2 hours. Remove from the oven and set on the stove over medium heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the reserved 1⁄2 cup chili puree and the molasses. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Serve with lime wedges, sour cream and cilantro leaves.

I love cooking with chiles. I had always wanted to try to make Adovada, and now I can. I just happen to have a bag of New Mexico and Guajillo peppers in my pantry.

Is this an old family recipe or was this inspired by something you have eaten?

Thanks Zippy!

Alternate Method

We kick this up a notch by starting in the Bandera firebox with a small mesquite fire.
Braise the pork and spices with a couple cups of the red chile (not quite enough to cover) in the dutch oven uncovered for a half hour or so. Stay on top of this - stir often.
Add the balance of the chile, cover and finish in the oven (or the pit).

The deep red color this creates is amazing, the flavor goes towards chipotle.

This is one of our favorites, and we've been thinking of trying to make it ourselves.

Thank you very kindly for the recipe! Perfect!

Gotta try this soon.

Back