THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

it was ribs within. and they have had two more fires since. i try not to set up near them anymore just kiddin doug and crew are good people

Its a lot easier to ask forgiveness, than to ask permission. Maybe make the canopy over your cooker relatively easy to take down just in case. Or make it so that if you have to move your cooker a few feet its not such a big deal. I don't have a WSM, but with a pair of welding gloves, how hard is it to move?

MilitantSquatter said:
I recall at the BBQ on the River contest in Bristol, PA in May that one of the team's canopies actually caught fire...

Don't it figure? That's the next contest we intend to do. I'm sure the melted canopy will be fresh in the minds of those who worry about getting sued when organizing an event like that.

nmayeux said:
Its a lot easier to ask forgiveness, than to ask permission. Maybe make the canopy over your cooker relatively easy to take down just in case. Or make it so that if you have to move your cooker a few feet its not such a big deal.

That was my original thought. I figured if I didn't bring the situation to anyone's attention, no one would likely say anything, But like I said, that kind of thinking always comes back and bites me in the arse. As far as moving the canopy or the cooker if asked, it wouldn't be that hard (had to do it at our first comp) but it would still leave my cookers out in the rain. I'd like to have a solution that's compliant, easy to implement and effective before I get there. That just leaves one less thing to worry about at our first real (KCBS) comp.

butt head said:
it was ribs within. and they have had two more fires since. i try not to set up near them anymore...

LOL! :-D

Doesn't Ribs Within use a Stumps gravity fed? Anyone else heard of a grease fire with Stumps? I was thinking about possibly getting one.

I would be concerned about the build-up of smoke, etc. in the dome of the canopy if the WSM was under it. If the canopy had some sort of vent at the top, then it wouldn't be so bad, but there is a lot of stuff in the smoke that can build up on the inside surface of the canopy.

Ron_L said:
I would be concerned about the build-up of smoke, etc. in the dome of the canopy if the WSM was under it. If the canopy had some sort of vent at the top, then it wouldn't be so bad, but there is a lot of stuff in the smoke that can build up on the inside surface of the canopy.

You'd be surprised how much gets coated by smoke and its contents. The poles of ourv 10x20 Hercules knock off started out being about the same color as a zinc coated bolt. Now they're pretty much yellowed and stuff "sticks" to 'em. And we've never had a smoker under it at all.

Ron_L said:
I would be concerned about the build-up of smoke, etc. in the dome of the canopy if the WSM was under it.

I know what you're saying but I was only considering the canopy for use at events when it's raining. I wouldn't want to use it all the time. Too much smoke gets trapped underneath if there's no wind.

Pig Headed said:
Doesn't Ribs Within use a Stumps gravity fed? Anyone else heard of a grease fire with Stumps? I was thinking about possibly getting one.

I have heard of a couple of fires with Stumps Cookers. I recommend you go to the forum on their website.

Back