THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

martyleach

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I want to freeze about a zillion corned beef to turn into pastrami since this is the only time of the year they go on sale. Should I desalinate them and freeze them or just freeze them in the bag with all the ucky juices and seasoning?

I promise pron!! :)

I don't like the idea of trying to freeze heavily salted water and getting a good freeze in a normal household freezer. I think I would remove, vacuum pack and wrap in paper. Adding a little fresh water would help as well.

I don't like the idea of trying to freeze heavily salted water and getting a good freeze in a normal household freezer. I think I would remove, vacuum pack and wrap in paper. Adding a little fresh water would help as well.

Do you think I should de-salinate first?

I wouldn't bother with that, unless it is just a few. I am just guessing here Marty, I know in the fisheries (much better freezing equipment) they freeze with just a little water film, fresh water. I suspect the salt in the meat won'tbe a big issue though.

Good question Marty. I would repackage like Landarc said and put them in the freezer. Check the next day. If they are frozen solid leave um in. If not you're going to have to take the salt out.

Thanks for asking this Marty. I was actually planning to stock up on the cheap corned beef and had the same exactly question.

I just bought six last week for the same reason (pastrami) and there froze solid. I get that many every year and have never had a problem.

Hi All, found the forum as I was searching for an answer to the thread topic. While I was waiting for my registration to complete I did some browsing. Made me hungry!

Anyway, old topic but it's the only place I could find anything related to my query.

I purchased half dozen vacuum sealed corned beef briskets in late March. I made one into pastrami and froze the rest. The packages are now bloated. How do I know if this is still safe? They all went from store to freezer.
Any input is greatly appreciated

Marty, although they usually have a long "use by" date and I usually store them in my beer fridge,... I have not had any issues with freezing them.

Hi All, found the forum as I was searching for an answer to the thread topic. While I was waiting for my registration to complete I did some browsing. Made me hungry!

Anyway, old topic but it's the only place I could find anything related to my query.

I purchased half dozen vacuum sealed corned beef briskets in late March. I made one into pastrami and froze the rest. The packages are now bloated. How do I know if this is still safe? They all went from store to freezer.
Any input is greatly appreciated

This sounds weird, was there a large amount of liquid in the bags that when frozen made them swell? I can't imagine any bad juju happening to them in the freezer. What brand are they? When in doubt you could always contact the manufacturer and see what they think.

Swollen cryo is usually a bad sign, but I can't figure out how they would swell in the freezer. Since they are cured they are probably fine. Thaw one and give it a smell :-D If it smells off, then rinse it and try again. It is still smells off, toss it.

Ron, the interesting thing about corned beef in particular is that the smell of the pickling itself is sometimes strong... it might overwhelm a sour smell if the meat had in fact turned. However, I'm with you in the fact that cured meat is more resistant to turning than fresh meat.

half_full, how close to the use-by date were they when you bought them?

Back