Can I fit a whole hog on my pit?

GOHOGS

Got Wood.
I've always wanted to smoke a whole hog and I finally have a pit big enough that I think I may be able to do it. It's 7-1/2 feet long and 30 inches wide. The racks are all 3 feet wide. The top ones are 18 inches deep and the bottoms are 29. All four can be easily removed. My question is how big is a whole hog typically? I know it depends on the weight so what's a pig weigh? I'm assuming I would end up at least cutting it in half but would I have to chop it up more than that?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 110
I don't know how big a typical whole is, but I do know how big a typical whole hog you can buy is.

Call Dimes in Springdale. You can take out a top rack and fit him in there fine. Whole. Two if you want to.

With the size you can easily fit a large hog, but the fact that the doors are split could be a problem, esp. if and when you need to spin the hog during the cook. My main chamber is 50" long and 20" diameter and I fit a 58# pig in there with some room to spare, but I have one door along the length of the chamber, and the slidout rack made it easy to spin the hog for even cooking on both ends.

If you can figure a way to easily move the pig in and out of your rig, you'll be good to go. I'm guessing there's a way to do it and somebody's done it before somewhere. Cutting it up is always an option as well - won't be the same wow factor but the eating will be just as good.

If you can figure a way to easily move the pig in and out of your rig
You will need a rack to move the pig in and out with, make a carb board template and see how big you can get in and out of the cooker.
Are you cooking the pig on its back or running style?
jon

You would need to cut a large hog in 2.. because even if you remove the racks... you still will have the angle welded there that the racks sit on.. but if you cut the hog in half.. you could fit 2 large ones easily IMHO

Just section them into threes - shoulders/hams/loins and you'll be able to jigsaw your way into 2 even three.

I did three myself - 100lbs and I think my pit and yours are pretty similar in size.

Here's a visual aid

Back