Can a Thermapen be accurate in an ice bath but off at other temps?

20 replies and not a single "psst, TTNUGE probes his breasts, pass it on".

What are the Brethren coming to?

20 replies and not a single "psst, TTNUGE probes his breasts, pass it on".

What are the Brethren coming to?

I didn't want to end up in the woodpile.

I should have had all my ducks in a row and had pictures of everything prior to posting. And who is this CD guy you guys speak of? I am unfamiliar with that name abbreviation.

I did probe my breasts in multiple places with the same results. I even probed my wife's breast(s) with the same results.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely try a few of the tips.

Test in ice and boiling water, and in the same hole (or as close as you can get) in meat. My older Thermopen went bad after 8 years of use. Twenty five bucks service charge and it came back like new. I have a second one I'm gonna have serviced (7 years of use/storage) before I give it as a gift. These puppies are seriously handy when they are working. Just don't heave it into the trash bin. Or if you do, heave it into my trash bin, please!

It is my understanding that we have a resident expert on these thermapens.

Ummmm. The name escapes me at the moment, but if I recall correctly he's got one of them there fancy cars .... A uvula , nope ... A Volvo , yep that's it!
Find him and he'll get right on track with these two

My thermapen is very good at telling me the internal temp of a "money muscle" on a pork butt. It also excels at letting me know when a brisket is "like butter" because the probe is so thin and sharp and the "feel" of the probe going into the meat lets me know when it's done. That being said, I have found that when grilling, it's better to go with the "feel" of the meat when touching it with my finger rather than what the thermapen is telling me. I have ruined my share of meat learning that lesson.

Back