Camp Chef PG24SG

1MoreFord

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Joe
coachop94 asked that I update my pellet grill purchase when I use it so I thought why not document the entire purchase in my usual rambling thought processes.

I ordered a Camp Chef PG24SG from Home Depot on a Sunday night and it arrived at my house in central Arkansas from Camp Chef in Utah on the following Friday afternoon. UPS dropped it off on the front porch w/o getting a signature. They had done a good job of beating the fark outa the box so I drug it into the house and opened the box to check it out. There was a screw missing from the lid and some were loose but the good inner packaging had mostly saved it. No dents or the like. I even found the screw in the box. Later on I found other screws that had worked loose too.

Getting 150lbs into the house by myself was a chore for an old, overweight, arthritic guy with a bad back and heart troubles but even in my shape it was doable.

With other things to do Saturday I waited 'til Sunday to start assembly and went about it in a very leisurely fashion. It was then that, after looking the cooker over good, I decided to place it on the hopper/controller end to install the legs instead of the method described in the owners manual. The assembly went smoothly except I put the legs on the wrong ends and found that out when I went to put the wheels on and had to rectify that mistake. With the cooker on it's end the weight is Very manageable when uprighting the cooker. Assembly would be extremely easy for someone in good shape. As it was I'd work a bit and rest for a while until finished.

No pics but trust me it looks just like it does on the Camp Che f website.

With my slow assembly progress, and other things to do, it was Tuesday afternoon before I fired it up to season it. Bluetooth and WIFI aren't doing well yet. I'm a bluetooth newb and while I got it connected I went out of range and didn't get it to re-connect. It said it had no WIFI signal so I've ordered a cheap extender to try. My phone has two out of three bars so it must be on the controller end.

I bought B&B Pecan pellets, which are blended with oak, from Academy, to start with. The burn in went well using the onboard controller. It fed pellets like it should and lit off as it should. Starting at the recommended 350°F and a smoke setting of five I never saw much smoke but I can see quite a bit of smokey discoloration on the grill from leaks around the lid. After the recommended 30 minutes of burn in I lowered the temp to 325° for a few minutes. Saw a little smoke then. Later I lowered it to 300° and then 285° and increased the smoke setting to 10. I never saw as much smoke as I hoped for but it was in the shade and the light was fading so I'll look again when I cook. Very little ash left in the firepot.

BTW the grease can liners Home Depot sells are too small. They are for a Traeger. I think I can make them work but for a proper fit you would need something else. I bought an empty paint can to use as an ash can. I'll throw it away when it rusts out and get another.

Off to Kroger's to get some food and a Chook for the first cook.

More as time allows.

Wednesday afternoon.

Covered the drip tray with foil and reinstalled it and the grates.

Started the grill just after 5PM. Once it was thru the start cycle I set it for 325°F plus #6 smoke and let come to temp. It overshot by 25° like during burn in. By 5:30 it settled back down to temp and I put the spatchcocked chook on the grill.

Kroger had Big birds today. This one is 5lbs! It's seasoned with some Byron's Butt Rub. I'd never noticed before that it's produced by the Texas Coffee Company like Texjoy seasonings. I know that's not a normal chicken rub but it's got salt, pepper, onion, and garlic. My favorite seasonings. It's got other things too but the main characters are covered. I also loosened the skin on the breast as much as I could and shot a good amount of Kraft Tuscan House Italian salad dressing in there.

Once buttoned up the temp has floated from 321° to 332°. Still can't see much smoke but it has smelled great from the moment the meat went on.

It's now 6:15, the bird's at 135° and there's enough aroma making into the house to drive me crazy. While not as instense an aroma it smells every bit as good as my offset has ever smelled when running at it's cleanest. At some point I'm gonna throw a cleaned and trimmed ear of corn on there so I can say I had a veggie to go with it. May warm some canned asparagus for some greenery too.

It finished up just after 7:00. I didn't put the corn on soon enough. Didn't get any char. The chicken didn't take on very much color either and eating it confirmed there was very little smoke flavor and no smoke ring. Very disappointing. By the way it smelled when the bird was cooking I had very high hopes. The skin was not good either. Not crisp or bite through. I had high hopes there cooking at 325°. However all complaints aside the drumstick and thigh were tasty, for a roasted bird.

I'm not sure what I'll try on the next cook. I can try a hour or so at high smoke and turn up the smoke control with the same pellets or I can travel a bit and get some Lumberjack 100% hickory pellets. I'll get the Lumberjack pellets one day anyway but don't know how soon. I do know the next cook will be pork since I bought a rack of ribs and there will be some beef down the road. I saw some good looking beef short ribs a while back. Hopefully they will continue to stock them along with the flanken style they had.

Chicken going on
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1253&pictureid=13773

Look No Smoke:tsk:
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1253&pictureid=13772

The chicken has more color in the pic than it looks like live
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1253&pictureid=13774

Back