CAB vs Choice Briskets

I'm looking at the chart we have. Sorry, I forgot the camera at home. Here is a breakdown of grades and percentages.

45% of all beef is USDA select. That is the lowest grade that is given.
34% of all beef is USDA choice with small marbling
14% of all beef is USDA choice with modest marbling
5% of all beef is USDA choice with moderate marbling
2% of all beef is USDA Prime
CAB (Certified Angus Beef) only uses from the top 3 categories (the bottom three in my list) which means that only 21% can be CAB Since every single cow in these categories are not used they end up with only 8% of beef earning the CAB brand.

This means that there are other cows out there that are the same grade but may be under another name such as those grading brands listed above by other people.

Here's the deal. Marbling is the key to these grades and the CAB brand. They not only help the taste, but a CAB product can endure longer cooking or to higher temperatures and retain moisture due to the superior marbling. Our briskets we obviously cook longer and at higher temperatures than normal beef so I believe that it may just lend a small advantage toward a better end product. I would believe that it would stand up much better to a longer cooler rest.

I'll still try to get a picture of the wall chart and the points to CAB.

We paid $1.69 per pound for packers. Hope we can keep that price for awhile. What are you guys paying in the store for CAB?

Where are you at Greg? I get all of mine directly from the slaughter house in Western Illinois. I pay less direct from them, but it might be an option for me with you?

Thanks,

Scottie

We will be opening in Coal City in a month or so. Every ounce of our beef will be CAB, including our burgers.

I forgot to add that they age for 21 days before we get them. Also, if they have overstock they go ahead and freeze and I can get those even cheaper.

Keep me up to date. As much as I like getting them from the slaughterhouse... I can do without the drive...

I freeze all of my briskets anyway, although, I would rather get them fresh so I can see what I have before freezing...

Thanks Greg.

Scottie

My last order I locked in at $1.29... They are aging right now. I just don't like driving if I don't have to. In the Chicago area, all briskets are made into corned beef. So briskets are not an easy item to pick-up...

Back