Buying a Used Pellet Pooper

SmittyJonz

somebody shut me the fark up.
I’m thinking if I was gonna buy another man’s pooper - I’d want a Better quality pooper from a guy who maintains and cleans his pooper Well. But most of the used Poopers I see for Sale are Camp chef, Traeger and Pitboss.........:twitch:

Moving parts and electronics in something used and stored outside are things that would lead me to only low ball any offer, unless you know and trust the owner. Even then, I'd wonder why they were getting rid of it, if it was of any value. If it has sat unused, even worse.

I’m thinking if I was gonna buy another man’s pooper - I’d want a Better quality pooper from a guy who maintains and cleans his pooper Well. But most of the used Poopers I see for Sale are Camp chef, Traeger and Pitboss.........:twitch:

Tend to agree with those thoughts myself.

If I was buying a used pooper, I would want to make sure it was a clean pooper! Nothing worse than using a dirty pooper!

I would have to agree with the others. Really good reason why for sale, AND be clean. Otherwise, low ball them and plan for replacement parts. My pitboss is only 3 1/2 years old and I have never had to replace parts yet, so I cant twll you how well costomer service is for them.

I picked up my FEC used. Was two years old, they guy bought it as a backup for his other FEC for his catering business. But only used it twice. Got it for 40% off retail.

I picked up my FEC used. Was two years old, they guy bought it as a backup for his other FEC for his catering business. But only used it twice. Got it for 40% off retail.
These circumstances would cause me to be positive. Price would help.

Guessing the used market is still sort of tight since this has only just recently been declared "the year of the pooper".

If you just keep your powder dry, there ought to be more and more showing up in CL to choose from.

I'm so broke I can't pay attention but I'd still consider buying new with the mfg who had the best customer service. I'd be real reluctant to buy a "gently used" pooper unless I knew the fella or is was so cheap I could afford to take a chance on having to replace components.

Guessing the used market is still sort of tight since this has only just recently been declared "the year of the pooper".

If you just keep your powder dry, there ought to be more and more showing up in CL to choose from.

I'm so broke I can't pay attention but I'd still consider buying new with the mfg who had the best customer service. I'd be real reluctant to buy a "gently used" pooper unless I knew the fella or is was so cheap I could afford to take a chance on having to replace components.

I feel the same way, the used prices I see are high (75-80% of new). And for that, you do not have a warranty and if something does break, you have to pay for the parts. To me, unless it is a great deal, it does not make sense.

Case in point, I have seen a Yoder YS-640's going for $1250 (without the competition cart). A new one without a competition cart is $1449, and I can get one with no shipping in Houston.

For that difference, I would rather get new and get the 10-3-1 warranty.

Last edited:
My Yoder is staying put. I just fired it up tonight for some ribs and they turned out great once again. :-D

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
Smitty, I bought my Traeger used in 2007. Paid 300.00 which at the time was 50% of new price on cooker only. He thru in cover, shelf for outside and a shelf for inside, rib rack, clay beer can chicken cooker and 4 bags of pellets. It was 3 years old and I have had it for 11 years with no issues except operator errors. Each deal is different just go with your instinct. If the welds look good, no rust, clean and the nature od the person selling you will know if it is right or not. Good Luck

Smitty,

You are a perpetual window shopper! Pull out the wallet and spend some dough instead of just talking about it! :thumb: The Yoder YS640 on Dallas Craigslist that you alerted us to last week was a perfect example. Top quality costs more always, whether it's a smoker, a knife, rifle scope, etc.

The reason so many cheap, crappy pellet poopers are for sale used is because they don't work well! When I was younger I was the guy buying a cheap gasser every other year until I realized that quality costs money, but lasts much longer and moved up into a Weber, then a Lynx and never looked back on the cheap specials again.

Back