lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
I came across a Jamie Oliver video

https://youtu.be/qwdZ7mlz0rU

for a Veggie Casserole which looked quite good. I happened to have Butternut Squash on hand but headed to the market for peppers, mushrooms and chickpeas. The Goldens' was called in to duty this afternoon as I was not preparing this indoors. A bit of smoke adds to the flavor in a recipe such as this.

First up, roast the squash and the peppers. I'm using orange, yellow and green today. The Goldens' is set up for indirect grilling -

ZXclmsn.jpg

A few of the ingredients. Mushrooms, garlic, fire roasted tomatoes, chickpeas -

kkVAq7V.jpg

I was gifted this Calphalon CI Dutch oven from an estate sale and since it cleaned up real nice I wanted to keep it that way, hence the heavy layers of aluminum foil. And the parchment beneath it. It helps with cleanup.

Mushrooms are started in the Dutch oven, I'm using Portabella and white button -

013ZPbs.jpg

Diced onions and garlic are next -

3dGER9k.jpg

Followed by the Fire roasted tomatoes -

cfQI68v.jpg

The chickpeas (not drained) -

zdmefTJ.jpg

Peppers are chopped into smaller pieces and added -

aLjg6Nr.jpg

The Butternut squash is nestled back into the stew, slightly above the surface to pick up additional smoke (at least that's the theory). I let it simmer for about another half hour uncovered -

ne4bRIs.jpg

8ogrGzO.jpg

Seasoning was salt and pepper, a little bit of red pepper flakes and as is done in the recipe, a splash of cider vinegar.

In Jamie's recipe, he finishes this in the oven. I'm essentially doing the same, using the grill. I suppose you could just cook this on a stovetop as well but what's the fun in that?

I never would have considered pairing Butternut squash with Chickpeas but they worked incredibly well together. The mushrooms and peppers don't hurt either. Simply put, this dish was outstanding!

Plated pics -

kTUrb8C.jpg

35BePhF.jpg

I suppose you could add shredded chicken, beef, pork, etc. but I wanted to stick to the recipe on my initial try and keep this vegetarian.

As always, thanks for reading through to the end of this post and following along on tonite's dinner!

Regards,
-lunchman

That will be on my fall menu for sure!

I do the same thing with the foil to protect my nicer pots. Another tip, that I'm pretty sure I saw posted on this site-I also use Totally Awesome Degreaser from the (used to be) Dollar Store to clean them after. It pulls the smoke stains right off.

Thanks everyone. I sent some over to my SIL and she and her husband raved about it. I pointed them to the YouTube video since they wanted the recipe. I'm sure if you follow his recipe it'll be great, but I'm convinced that prepping it all on the grill amps up the flavor.

We finished the last of it this evening, serving it with Shredded Cheddar and sour cream. My wife wants to know when it's on the Menu again.

Maybe some shredded chicken will be added to it next time. I

Back