Buttermilk

ModelMaker

Quintessential Chatty Farker
The only time I use it is to soak chicken parts in, so riddle me this, could I after done using it, just pour into a sealed container, freeze, and reuse later for only more chicken parts?
Additionally, could I pour fresh buttermilk into a container freeze and use it later?
Ed

I'm pretty liberal about food safety. Have pulled raw meat out of the freezer to thaw then put it back in the freezer after a couple days in the fridge. Have experienced no ill affects after thawing it again at a later date.

Was told years ago that freezing food for 14 days would kill all bacteria/pathogens. Have since learned that is not true. No way I would reuse buttermilk that was used for soaking raw chicken.

Does Freezing Food Kill Bacteria?

Buttermilk makes for excellent, juicy breasts, no matter how you cook them, after a 24 hour bath. I've also used my pickle brine, also great. Vinegar in milk, don't think so. And, sorry, but reusing buttermilk or anything else after it touched raw chicken - absolutely not!! Won't be eating at that place, ever.

I've used the powdered many times (expensive). I've used both vinegar and concentrated lemon juice, which produces highly acidic tenderizing characteristic, but has nothing in common (except being acidic) with high butter fat milk.
I guess my question and thoughts were, if you have buttermilk you have used with raw chicken and is now "contaminated", frozen, thawed and reused, does it become anymore contaminated then after the first use (double deadly).
Ed

It works. I never have buttermilk on hand so that's how I do it as well.

-D

Correct. It is recommended in some cookbooks I've read to use vinegar or lemon juice if you do not have buttermilk. As to how close it is to buttermilk I really don't know as I'm planning ahead when I need it.

Back