Buttermilk Chicken w/Nashville Style Hot Dip

MS2SB

is Blowin Smoke!
I made KFC on Sunday and had marinated more chicken than I needed, so I left some pieces in the buttermilk, Franks marinade for an extra day and then toss it on the traeger.

I also decided that I wanted to try a Nashville style hot dip to go along with it. I don't know how or why this got into my head, but it wormed it's way in and would not let go.

For the chicken, I removed it from the marinade (3/1, buttermilk/franks, a heavy T of Old Bay and a healthy pinch of salt and pepper) then patted it as dry as I could with some paper towels.

And then I tossed them onto the traeger at about 425.

While that was cooking, I made up the hot dip. All of the traditional recipes I read called for melted lard and cayenne pepper, but I decided to make it my own I started by using 1 T of schmaltz, 2 T clarified butter and then I minced up a habanero that I smoke dried a few weeks back. These went into the microwave for about 30 seconds.

Then I added a pnch of brown sugar, and a good T of Spanish paprika along with a smashed garlic clove. I put this back into the microwave for another 30 seconds, just to get the fat warmed through and bloom the spices.

30 minutes later and the chicken was done and off the grill.

I basted my three pieces with the hot dip

And then served with some slaw and pan roasted cauliflower.

The long buttermilk soak left the chicken with great flavor and a lovely crispy skin and the hot dip was just hot enough and balanced properly with the little bit of brown sugar to add a great bite to the chicken without being painful. All in all, I'll be making this again.

That is some tasty looking chicken. Buttermilk brine marinade is definitely added to the list of experiments.

If you give it a try, please let me know how it turns out. I always like to see how other people adapt these types of things and what they think of the results.

Great pictures!!! One question however. Does the "Hot dip" mean that once the chix is pulled it's dipped into the marinade or did you brush it on both sides on the grill?
Yea, newbie :)

Back