THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

keale

Babbling Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Butt question...trying again

Did I stump you all? :p

Did a Pork Butt yesterday/late Sat. night, It was a stubborn little........
would not budge from 185*, foiled even... PM'd a few, one said it has happened to them, and they said give itthe bone test or fork test, and it was more than ready...total time I had it on? 16 hours, best part was that it wasn't over done, still juicy...
Anyone had this problem? Better yet, why does this happpen?:confused: :confused:
I know, I know,..."The meats done, when its done"! :-D
Oh yeah did a picnic roast also, it was good, but not as juicy as the butt, tasted diff. too...this is a pic of that culprit!

Attachments

• IMG_0904.jpg
    IMG_0904.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Maybe your plateau was long because of the of more fat/cartlidge content. More time breaking down, more length in plateau. I notice slight dips in temp when I'm in a plateau.

I redid the probe several times thinking the same thing, never went above 185*, weird huh? The butt was almost 8lbs, the picnic was done in 13 hours... grate temp was constant 225, last 4 hours went to about 240-250...

I have seen them stall in the plateau many times (it gets frustrating sometimes), but what will really mess with you is when the temp of the butt actually drops a degree or two. That really makes a person second guess himself / and his thermometers.

Keale, after I foil, (as soon as internal hits 165) I immediately bump the heat up to 250-275. 300 even, to bump the butt over the hump.

Now, keep it mind that Im not a comp guy. I may not be as much of a purist as some others. But Im used to having butts done in 10 hours start to finish. And they're always better tasting than 95% of BBQ I can buy.

Bump the butt over the hump. Catchy isnt it?

The butt that I did just a couple of weeks ago took about 16 hours. It hung at 175 or so and then again at 185 for a long time.

There's a reason they say "It's done when it's done" because you don't get to control it I guess.

Back