Butt Glitter

Question for Funk, chili powder......Do you mean real chili powder as in ground ancho chilies or do you mean chili powder as in store bought with other ingredients added to it and called " chili powder " ?

cheap azz chili powder. I use nothing decent, ever. Even had an argument Monday as an adviser to a failing BBQ restaurant in which I was telling him to stop with the CABS

I found a reference to smokin stuff in an old post.

Bob E Q has just reminded me I am forgetting things now that I don't use them every day.

I forgot that MS or CS was smokin' stuff. I dont use it anymore in lieu of 60 mesh pepper, koshur, no salt lemon pepper, red pepper flakes

A little background.

I just figured out the Official name for Popdaddys Large Grained crap. Atomic Dog (cuz it makes the Bark) - This dovetails with my Dirty Dalmatian I use at the Church and has the same theme... they are Bark Makers. Now when I say this I mean that unlike most of the rubs fused with most of the techniques the Bark is produced by the affect of the heat on the RUB. My final applique after the Butt Glitter makes bark from the Rub's affect on the MEAT. For Instance, sugar is gonna burn whether its on the meat or on nothin'

The second reason for this final application of the ADog is to force your flavors into the meat. The Salt will bond with smoke, meat juices and your rub (whether it be Butt Glitter or Pepper and Onion Powder) and carry those flavors into the meat as you smoke it. Sure an injection will salt up your insides but it will you cannot carry all those those flavors into the meat no matter what you use. I say "you" because I can do this with my injection, but I promise never to use that. I also don't use it because it never existed and cannot be bought or sold. This is why it works so well and I use it on special cases. It is a remarkable injection to use for something that doesn't exist.

So anyway, in this case, at this temp (270 Plus) with no foiling or wrapping this set of three rubs works great.

Just to be clear. My preps are like this.

Pork Shoulder - slather, lawreys dusting, dump in glitter, rest
(Then just before smoking) Dump 4 sides in the Large Grained Stuff (this is also used as flipover seasoning). No special reason for 4 sides just like to do this. But fear the ends of the meat might carry too much salt in. You will see this on my video, "Mark of a good Butt"

Briskets and clods - No slather, Pat Dry Brisket, Lawreys Dust to color and Rub in to distribute, Butt Glitter Dust to Color (don't cake this stuff like Pork Shoulder,) Rest Overnight - DUMP ENTIRE PACKER in Atomic Dog or Dirty Dalmatian before placing on smoker (fat down on most smokers). Start at 200-220 for hour or two then ramp to 270 for most of the smoke. No wrapping and you can flip 3/4 of the way (which i do to make sure the fat doesnt stick really is the only reason) The pepper milds a little after full weeping occurs (which may never occur at some peeps temps the lower they are).

Chicken - Dry - butt glitter, then AD or Dirty dalamtian and skin down at 275 half way. Then I pull the chicks out. Ramp up the smoker to 350. While I am doing this I
flip the chicks skin up and reseason with a light dusting of Sister Dredge (it sorta soaks into the grease and makes a nice skin (of course 350 contributes to that too). You may want to pay close attention to what I put in that because some peeps don't like the peaches and creame UNTIL THEY GET IT IN THEY MOUF!

Turkey - Dust with Lawreys, Dust with Glitter, sprinkle with AD.

Armadillo Eggs and Fatties, Moink Balls- Sprinkle Lightly all over then DUMP one side in it. That side goes up and is the last to go down.

Real Texas Ribs (video due out soon) - Place ribs on GRILL. Top Down- Sprinkle Lawreys to color. Sprinkle Glitter on to dust. FLIP when fat begins to render and cause flare ups. Sprinkle Newley Greased (from the searing) , seared side the same way. This process drys the meat out and sets the Rub as well as prevent Ring from going through my meat to the bone which I hate. I also will take AD and add 1/2 large grained pepper to it again (which lowers the salt ration in favor of pepper) and sprinkle a bit on before I flip the top. Flip again.
I place these puppies on the Smoker at 270-280 bone up. Halfway I flip. I do not like to reseason if I do it earlier. The pepper milds out nicely and if I reseason it screws it all up making the ribs too peppery (and salty) at this stage. No wrapping, no basting.

mAKE SURE YOU HAVE A CLEAN FIRE AT THIS STAGE!!!!!! iF NOT STOKE ALL UNBURNED WOOD TO GET ALL COALS PROPERLY BLACKED UP AND WHITE. nO UNIGNITED WOOD.

When the ribs weep (video will show this nicely when its done) I shut down all the dampers VENTS AND EVEN THE STACKS and let them just rest in the smoker and NOT open it for any reason for at least 30-40 minutes. THIS IS IMPORTANT - SINCE I HAD CHECKED THE RIBS FOR A B BEND AND WEEPING BEFORE I SIT IT DOWN, THERE IS no reason to check it when they are weeping. The temp will slowly go down inside and that lovely outside taste will suck inside.

Bacon Wrapped Almond Stuffed Prunes - Sprinkle

Sauces - If I dont have any Scandal left I use a ton of this. Usually I use Scandal/Glitter Mix in my thin liquid preboil when I make the sauce. (If you see my Hit Me Fred or Beale Street Vids you will see what this is)

Purpose of the Glitter - as with all rubs it is not the end all. It is just MY flavor profile I like. For instance I love the Celery seed in it. I love to find a kernal of seed in my teeth a week later (even after brushing) and get a big celery bomb that reminds me of my Q - WHICH was like a bomb placed in my cusotmer's mouth that would go off and bring them back) I nixed it in the HIPSHOT rub (named because I winged the glitter once and came up with this) because I didn't have it.

BUt on large cuts without the AD Glitter flavor does not go inside. And if you have to ask - no - mixing lawrys and Glitter or Atomic Dog will not get the same results as appliing them seprately.

When ever someone brags at how great their Q is or whenever they eat mine and say its the best I always tell them the same thing. There is a Level by which a BBQER reaches expert status and becomes a master. Providing he doesn't make a Rub that is God Awful, the level is attained by exceeding or reaching a level of tenderness and texture. After that, all other things are merely expression. So in essense, at that level there is no best, just expressions like art.

Now my Glitter you may mix up and think it stinks or is flat. But remember, I did not design it for COMP but for a product I could use on my trailer and cross utilize. It goes into salads too. But had I kept my old salt profile then my Q would not work as well. I have told many on here that they should use my first and third level and develope their own favorite blend of flavors to go in the second layer. Some have chosen Onion and Garlic Powder alone.

One word of warning - Use separate salts and powders. Do not use onion salt, celery salt, garlic salt and expect the same profile. I also am a STRONG advocate of the Paprika in this (8 parts ?). Paprika is something that is of course mild but affects the flavors of all the other stuff WHEN PLACED UNDER HEAT AND MEAT JUICES AND SMOKE over a long time. It is not a filler. All the ingredients are cheap azz crap by the way.

How much is in a part asi in 1 part chili powder?
Depends on how much you're making.
The recipe is a ratio. 8 parts paprika and 1 part chile powder could be in Tablespoons or cups. The ratio means the recipe stays the same as long as you use the same base measuring device.

How much is in a part asi in 1 part chili powder?

I try to make my recipes in Part forms. This way if I have all my spices in equal bottles or bags I can just add them in. But if you are using a standard cup, or a plastic cup or a coffee cup measure of any ole spoon as long as you keep it the same it works out okay.

I started this rub as a bulk rub so I don't have the problem some have where small quantities don't come out right as large quantities.

I'll just say that THIS THREAD is the reason I love this site & BBQ friends in general...very nice.

I try to make my recipes in Part forms. This way if I have all my spices in equal bottles or bags I can just add them in. But if you are using a standard cup, or a plastic cup or a coffee cup measure of any ole spoon as long as you keep it the same it works out okay.

I started this rub as a bulk rub so I don't have the problem some have where small quantities don't come out right as large quantities.

I learned that trick working in a bakery. You can do the same bakers %'s ....Some people don't understand that a cup of flour on day isn't the same as a cup of flour on another day..

Great job!

You inspired me to put on some butt glitter. Wait, that doesn't sound good. Anyway, it's on. I smoke tomorrow.

Making the rubs in parts is a great idea never thought of that. Thanks

Here ya go peaspurple.......

Popdaddy’s ButtGlitter

8 Parts Tina Turner - Paprika
3 Parts George Clinton - Salt
3 Parts Little Richard - Sugar
2 Parts Chaka Kahn - Cumin
2 Parts Prince - Garlic Powder
2 Parts Rick James - Onion Powder
2 Parts Don Cornelius (Re-Ground before mix) - Celery Seed
1 Part Carlos Santana - Chili Powder
1 Part John Travolta Powder - Oregamo
1 Part Larry Graham - Black Pepper
½ part each of Fred Wesley Powder and Bootsy Collins - Mustard - Red Pepper or Cayenne

Well being new to the forum I just discovered this thread. Looks like I need to make some Butt Glitter as I just ran out of my standard rub I have been using and am ready for a change. Thanks for making this available! How do you like to re-grind the celery seed before making this rub? Also I can't find the recipe for the Dirty Dalmation rub anywhere.....:pray:

a coffee grinder would do the trick, so would a mo....moca...mocahete (mortar and pestal) butt glitter is fanfriggintastic!!! was my first rub on my first butt!!!

Back