THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bbqin fool

is one Smokin' Farker
Hey all. I've done alot of searching in the archives but would also like to get some up to date opinions. I am smoking my first packer brisket this weekend and I want to try burnt ends. My question is when should I separate the point from the flat as I want to keep them together when they go on the cooker. Should I separate them around internal temp of 160? Maybe at the stall temp? Or should I separate them at the final temp of approximately 195? Thanks for the help!

Agree with the two posts above. I seperate them after the flat is done, cube the point, add more rub and a little sauce in a pan and put them back on the smoker for a couple more hours.

Agreed! Don't remove the point until the flat is done. At that time seperate the point, cube it, put it in a pan and back to the smoker. Be sure to watch your fingers around the finished burnt ends. Once people taste them it'll be a frenzy!

I like to remove the point from the flat like everyone else then I throw the point back in the smoker for another hour. After that I fire up my grill, get it hot and throw the point on there to render down more fat and crisp up the outer point then I cube it up and put it in some sauce. The extra grilling really renders down a lot of the fat.

Well, I hate to be the odd guy out, but I don't like burnt ends when the point/flat are cooked that way. I found that the "scab" on the point never really forms a good bark and the resulting burnt ends tend to be way too fatty.

I'm a huge proponent of separating the point from the flat BEFORE you begin cooking them... but instead of hijacking this thread, I put up another post on the subject.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109563

Some may disagree, but after literally cases of brisket test trials, this method produces the best burnt ends, IMHO.

Mike

Back