THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Regular Guy

Knows what a fatty is.
The last packer I smoked, I saved some of the meat for brisket chili and saved half of the point to make burnt ends at some point. I used the 2 pounds of cubed brisket for chili 2 days ago and tonight it was time for the point to be retrieved from the depths of the freezer to star in tonight's dinner production. Without further adieu.....I give you "Burnt Ends"!!

burnt01.jpg

burnt02.jpg

burnt03.jpg

burnt04.jpg

We made 2 trays, mine is what you see above. I used some of my Jack Daniels BBQ sauce that I made up recently with a little of my brisket rub on it and my Wife's pan had just the lightest coating you can imagine of KC Masterpiece. She was oooohing and aaaahing over hers and I must say, I was doing the same while eating mine. These hit the spot!

Thanks for looking. Stay smokey my friends.

Nice looking burnt ends.

Now drooling.

Going home to light up the grill now.

Sadly no burnt ends for me, but after this post it's definitely time to start dinner.

I've never seen anyone post a "after frozen burnt end "thread before. Seems very reasonable now that you suggest it.
I don't always smoke, but when I do, it's oak or pecan.

I've never seen anyone post a "after frozen burnt end "thread before. Seems very reasonable now that you suggest it.
I don't always smoke, but when I do, it's oak or pecan.

Just about every time I cook I end up saving and freezing leftovers. Makes it easy for when you don't really want to cook, just grab something from the freezer and reheat it right in the bag, or in this case thaw it out, cube it up and off you go!

I've got bakes beans, Brunswick stew, Vegetable Beef Soup, chicken, ribs, Hawaiian pork loin, mojo pork butt, brisket slices (flat and point), pulled pork, homemade fresh (breakfast) and smoked (Texas Hot Links) sausage, pit roasted beef. I got all kinds of goodies in my freezers, lol. All ready to roll when the mood strikes (except for the breakfast sausage, it needs to be cooked)

Cook once, eat many times. Works for me!

Man that looks good! How did you cook them? I've seen some say they go low and slow for an hour or two, and others cook burnt ends over direct medium-high heat. Whatever you did, it looks like it worked!

Man that looks good! How did you cook them? I've seen some say they go low and slow for an hour or two, and others cook burnt ends over direct medium-high heat. Whatever you did, it looks like it worked!

Thanks! I put them into a pan, coated with sauce, sprinkled a little rub over it and put foil over the top. Placed in the oven (sometimes I take the easy route, didn't feel like firing up one of the smokers just for burnt ends) at 300° for about 2.5 hours. The last 15 minutes unfoiled.

Thanks! I put them into a pan, coated with sauce, sprinkled a little rub over it and put foil over the top. Placed in the oven (sometimes I take the easy route, didn't feel like firing up one of the smokers just for burnt ends) at 300° for about 2.5 hours. The last 15 minutes unfoiled.
This was from a frozen point that was previously smoked, right?

I'm gonna do the same thing this weekend!

This was from a frozen point that was previously smoked, right?

I'm gonna do the same thing this weekend!

Yep. I smoked a 13.xx pound packer. Ate some of it, saved 2 pounds for brisket chili that I cubed up and froze. I took half of the point cut lengthwise and vac sealed it. Thawed it out and cubed it while still cold. Works great. I actually think brisket tastes better the next day, kind of like spaghetti or chili, lol. The freeze doesn't affect it at all, you'd never know that it was frozen. I do this with slices too. Always comes out great.

Back