Burnt Ends Flat Question

WhiskyJoe

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Name or Nickame
Eric
Hi Folks,

I average about 3-4 briskies a year. Normally I slice/shred the point. This Memorial Day, I want to make burnt ends again. I've seen 400+ hours of youtube videos on this. Normally, I separate the point/flat right when I pull it off the smoker and then rest the flat.

However, I've seen some people add rub to the naked parts of the flat and toss it back on the smoker for another hour+ for more bark. Has anyone tried this?

My question: How does this not overcook the flat? Sounds awesome, but I don't want to ruin the meat trying it.

IMHO flat is way to lean for burnt ends. Burnt end cuts have to have high fat content like point, belly, butt

ssv3- wrong question. I'm running a whole packer. I separate the 2 after the cook. I see some people add rub to the flat where the point was and then throw it back on to get more bark there. How does that not overcook the flat? Normally I rest it then while I cube the point...

I’m reading the question the same way Sako is.
So are you cubing up the point for the burnt ends?
I wouldn’t bother throwing the flat back on for more bark after separating if it is done.

If the flat is done when you take it off and separate from the point, there is no way to get more bark on the flat without overcooking it. Take them off the smoker and separate before the flat is done and then throw back on for more bark, if that is what you are hoping for.

You can get more bark with a high sugar concoction, also easier to burn and make bitter. Find a Q Glaze instead of a Q Sauce. Or make your own glaze with brown or natural sugar, honey, syrups etc. Then watch closely. To me, and it's hard to unlearn an original teaching and this is what I was originally taught, burnt ends are the brisket point only, everything else is just a square piece of meat.
Your House Your Rules though. Cheers

maybe take off before tender, separate and cube point. reseason both as needed and finish flat while burnt ends are cooking. I honestly wouldn't bother but I also never do burnt ends either so what do I know

I don't do brisket very often anymore. But the favorite around here is to separate the point & flat before cooking. Throw the point on for burnt ends & grind the flat for burgers. Can't beat a brisket burger. :thumb:

Back