Building a table for my big joe+jr - need advice on strength

CakeM1x

is Blowin Smoke!
Edit: No longer need help with the load bearing issue with 2x4s. My main concern now is making this so it doesn't start on fire. I was thinking fire brick under the kamado joe with the feet for an air gap and then at least an inch around the table town cut out for the joes. I was planning on enclosing the walls below the table top. Will that be sufficient? Don't want my house to burn down.

The bones of the table are going to look like the table below. My dilemma is are 2x4s strong enough to hold the big joe and jr on the sides? The table is going to be 76" wide so the cedar is spanning about 70". The big joe is 250 and the jr is 70ish lbs. I am going to use red western cedar. I'm having a helluva time looking for cedar board strength. I highlighted 2 of the 4 2x4s I am talking about. Any advice would be great, thanks!

2ce6pvt.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not an engineer so take my advice with a grain of salt but I would probably use 4x4 for those long horizontal supports. I have a slightly smaller table for my Large BGE and I used 2x4 pressure treated pine for the horizontals covered with 1x4 cedar so it looks nice.
My table runs about 4' from side to side. 70" seems like a long distance to have to eggs on a cedar 2x4...

^Those 2 tables are using just 4x4s for the legs like I was planning to do and 2x4s for the span. I should be good with just the 2x4s since the jr is really only an extra 70lbs and mine won't have granite like a lot of people are doing.

And according to the sag calculator it can easily hold 500 lbs. It's borderline at 1200lbs. So according to this 2x4s would work but maybe I'll put the extra cost and go 4x4. Hmmm

11946j5.jpg

^Those 2 tables are using just 4x4s for the legs like I was planning to do and 2x4s for the span. I should be good with just the 2x4s since the jr is really only an extra 70lbs and mine won't have granite like a lot of people are doing.

And according to the sag calculator it can easily hold 500 lbs. It's borderline at 1200lbs. So according to this 2x4s would work but maybe I'll put the extra cost and go 4x4. Hmmm

11946j5.jpg
The 4 inch dimension of the 2X4 is taking the weight vertically. It's the lateral rotational forces on the legs that would lead me to either use 4X4's or to use glue with 2X4's to make L-shaped cross sectioned legs. Or use mortises on all joints. Tables commonly get racked out of shape and collapse. Expensive, heavy grills require solid tables.

I'm pretty confident the 2x4s will be sufficient. I can always sister them if I want the extra strength. My last concern is what material to put under the kamados?

What does everyone recommend to put under the kamado? Slate?Firebrick? I'm ordering the feet so there will be an air gap. Also is there much risk with the slate/air gap if the 3 sides are enclosed?

After looking at http://www.nakedwhiz...ase/eggbase.htmI am wary but I see a ton of enclosed kamados on the web. I'd think slate/firebrick with the air gap would suffice but don't want a fire either

I can send you a picture of my setup sometime but I just had a patio paver under my egg. It's been like that for 5 years or so and hasn't been an issue even when pushing the egg super hard on pizza cooks.

I would personally use 4x4 for the legs and 2x4 for the 70" runs. I would also mAke sure that there is at least 1 or 2 supports for the 70" runs like your photo has.

I plan on the bones being what the photo shows. I always planned on the legs being 4x4s. Was just concerned about the 70" span with a 2x4. Now I'm just concerned about it catching on fire from radiant heat so need to make sure that doesn't happen although even with brick and air space some guys bge burned his house down.

Cake, I'm not an engineer but a carpenter I am. I would go 4x horizontal or at least double them 2x4 up

How about shrinking the span by installing a 2 x 4 angle brace? Put them from the base of the 4 x 4's to underneath the top horizontal top piece. With that it should hold the weight easily.

I am going to make drawers so don't want the angle brace. I'll give it a test run and if i need more strength i will just sister the 2x4s. Stronger than a 4x4 anyways. On to making it fire safe!

Keep in mind if it's a stand alone table and your not gonna move it you will probably be fine but put it on wheels and move to different level ground areas now your gonna tweek your 2x4's a lot more than a 4x4! I'm a big fan of over kill than re-do!

Back