THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TheHojo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Ted
The duo over at Royale Fabrication sent me a few photos of my direct heat cooker - look forward to breaking it in in a few weeks with some direct heat ribs, pork steaks and pork shoulder - Carolina style.

Will update with photos and the complete “pit” upon completion.

https://www.royalebbqfabrication.com/cookers - both Jeff and John have been great to work with

This is gonna be KILLER!

They do really nice looking work, can’t wait to see cooks off of it!

Is this sticks or charcoal powered ?

Can use both - can set up charcoal and/or wood on the bottom and cook over direct heat - two different levels you can put the grates at - either 18 or 25 inches above the heat - I assume I will mostly use it with lump - and may throw a stick on now and then -

Can also use as a vertical offset - comes with deflector plates that you can put at second level and cook on the top grate

Also has a fire basket - that will fit at the second level that you can then sear steaks over on the top grate - also having a griddle made that will also go on the top level over that charcoal basket if I want to do some flat top cooking

Very versatile unit

You're going to have a blast cooking on that baby. I built something similar couple of years ago although not nearly as nice looking!

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273799

The different cooking heights made it very versatile. My favorite depth ended up being around 12". I did learn that it always took more charcoal than I thought to heat it up because of the large air volume of square box. Basting chicken of any kind and tri-tip were always my favorite for the high direct heat.

Enjoy and please keep posting the pics once you get cooking!

You're going to have a blast cooking on that baby. I built something similar couple of years ago although not nearly as nice looking!

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=273799

The different cooking heights made it very versatile. My favorite depth ended up being around 12". I did learn that it always took more charcoal than I thought to heat it up because of the large air volume of square box. Basting chicken of any kind and tri-tip were always my favorite for the high direct heat.

Enjoy and please keep posting the pics once you get cooking!

Thanks for sharing your earlier post - that awesome - hope you are still cookin on it

Thanks for sharing your earlier post - that awesome - hope you are still cookin on it

Thanks Hojo. I've moved on to a taller vertical grill-smoker, but often use the depth in the same style of direct cooking.

I learned about the direct style from the Meadow Creek chicken cookers which are 18" deep. The aromas coming off chicken dripping on hot coals 1.5ft below are otherworldly!

I am curious to see what your thoughts are on going indirect using deflector. I had some nice cooks doing that. You'll have plenty of smoking space on that cooker although I can see how it wouldn't replace your main smoker

Thanks Hojo. I've moved on to a taller vertical grill-smoker, but often use the depth in the same style of direct cooking.

I learned about the direct style from the Meadow Creek chicken cookers which are 18" deep. The aromas coming off chicken dripping on hot coals 1.5ft below are otherworldly!

I am curious to see what your thoughts are on going indirect using deflector. I had some nice cooks doing that. You'll have plenty of smoking space on that cooker although I can see how it wouldn't replace your main smoker

Agreed - i plan on using mostly for Carolina direct heat cooking - pork steaks, chicken, pork shoulders, ribs - and the occasional steak if I move the fire basket up to the second level. I have a traditional offset that will still be my go to for indirect cooking - but during the summer I will try the indirect setup on this new cooker - just too hot in Texas to work the offset during the summer - so this gives me some options when I don’t want to feed the offset during the heat of the day

Back