Buckboard Brisket

jgh1204 said:
Taste report. The corned beef was ok, but nothing special. As noted, a little salty.

The pastrami, a touch salty, but not too bad. Good smokey flavor. Could taste the beef with a little ham overtones. My wife loved it.

If you want to get rid of the saltiness, soak it longer. When I first did Buckboard bacon, after the brine I rinsed and soaked for two hours changing the water like in the directions but it came out salty. Now I soak for an hour, change the water, soak over night then get up the next morning change the water and let it soak for another hour. No salty flavor.
Perry

Part Dos coming this weekend. Bought a small trimmed flat, about 5#s. Put the cure on last night, will smoke it Saturday.

I have done regular buckboard with pork and it is kick ass, I will have to try it with a brisket, should be good as well.

Hey Bill, if you like bacon I am sure you will like the buckboard with pork, I plan on doing my next one crusted with cracked pepper, I love pepper crusted bacon.

This went on at 5:30PM with a little Royal Oak charcoal, hickory and pecan. It was a little over 4.5#. Put the cure on Tuesday night. Put it into water at 3PM, let soak until 5PM.

Wont know until I slice the thick end if the cure went all the way through there, but obviously no problems on the thin part of the flat.

This one was even better than the first. Not as salty, great flavor. It is a little hammy, but it does taste good. I would not call this pastrami as I am not using the seasonings.

I used a light rub of granulated garlic, pepper and a little bit of Arthur Bryant's rub on both sides.

I took it to 160, took it off the fire, foiled and wrapped in a towel for 1 hour. I would say it cooked at 250 for the 1st two hours and then tapered off to 225-200 for the last 2.5 hours.

I am sure it is the brisket, but this one was a lot more tender.

I dont know why I keep going past tense, I have not eaten it all.....yet.

Attachments

• DSCF0496.JPG
    DSCF0496.JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 169
  • DSCF0497.JPG
    DSCF0497.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 168
Made another batch today. To see what the difference between this cure and regular corned beef, I bought a small corned beef brisket and smoked it for comparison.

My mom, my wife and me all thought the buckboard brisket had a much better flavor.

So, ya'll with buckboard bacon cure, I am telling you, try this. The cure on a 1.5 inch thick flat only takes 3 days. Then I soak the cured brisket in water for at an hour or two. Smoke like a regular brisket to 160. Slice very thin as it will be tough.

chargriller said:
Hey Bill, if you like bacon I am sure you will like the buckboard with pork, I plan on doing my next one crusted with cracked pepper, I love pepper crusted bacon.
That sounds great Char.:cool: I am a pepper freak.:eek: :lol:

That looks good. Thirdeye gave me the link to get the buckboard bacon cure. I have it now. I was wondering what the difference is between pork loin and pork tenderloin. I want to try the cure on a butt and a tenderloin of some kind.

That way I can see which I like better.

Thanks,
Brian

That looks good. Thirdeye gave me the link to get the buckboard bacon cure. I have it now. I was wondering what the difference is between pork loin and pork tenderloin. I want to try the cure on a butt and a tenderloin of some kind.

That way I can see which I like better.

Thanks,
Brian

I've done this a few times. The butt will come out like regular bacon, but way better IMO. The loin comes out like Canadian bacon. I've not done a tenderloin so I can't give an opinion on that.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=288735&postcount=38

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=288736&postcount=39

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=288737&postcount=40

Kevin, It is going to be hard to wait for the butt to cure after seeing those pics. Man that looks good. I want a pc right now.:-D

I have some frozen butts, Been vac sealed for about three weeks can I use them or should I get fresh?

Thanks,
Brian

Frozen should work fine. Let them thaw a few days in the fridge. I've been busy for awhile, but with the colder weather here (frost on the windshield yesterday morning) it's time to get smokin' sausages and bacon.

Next time you do the corned beef, you could do it the same 8 days, but instead of 2 hours in running water, look to more like 6 or 8, and if you want some more of the salt out let it sit the first two hours in water with some fresh sliced potatoes in the same water, after two hours change out the water and add more fresh sliced potatoes, then try it with the running water for 4 hours.

The potato trick is well worth the effort and helps take out the excess salt.

When I first corned beef, I read that it should corn for 21 days, I washed it for about 8 hours and it was still too salty, then I was told about the potato tip and I had already cut the corning back to 8 - 10 days, the potato tip works so well, now everyone in the family loves my corned beef and my pastrami.

I've done the buckboard bacon a couple of times and IMO if you don't slice the butt real thin it cooks up tasting more like ham than bacon. Still good but just a different taste.

I've never done a brisket in the buckboard cure but I have a kick azz recipe for a home corned brisket if anyone wants it.

Man all this Buckboard talk and guess what fell off shelf in pantry. Buckboard Bcon cure. Gonna take hint and buy a boneless butt.

If you look at a pork chop (or T-bone steak), the smaller piece of meat is the tenderloin and the larger one is the loin. Where the loin runs the full length of the rib section, the tenderloin only runs about ½ to ¾ of the section.

I don’t generally use the tenderloin as a ‘cured’ meat because it is far to tender and would fall apart. The loin on the other hand should work fine.

Back