Buckboard Bacon Cure ~ Give Away Contest

I will with my CyberCrapShoot. :/ can't wait for some more meaty bacon.. funny since we had BLTs last night with some nitrate full stuff

P.S> It's really interesting that this does loins and butts. When you mean butts, I hope you mean boston butts, right? Otherwise I have no idea where to get a real pork butt. Probably will have a loin up by Labor Day Weekend or so, and then maybe a butt later, even though canadian bacon >>>>>>>>>> ham

@thirdeye not to push my luck since I'm getting free stuff, but john deere? man massey ferguson is where it's at!

51838747.jpg

169f9bca.jpg

Right a Boston butt. But like I said, they come out closer to ham because you have all the muscles in there surrounded by veins of fat. The loins will resemble Canadian bacon, (much leaner) and you will see some differences in the color of the muscles when you go from the rib end to the sirloin end.

DSC06154JPGajpgb.jpg

And hey, at lest my hat matches my umbrella. Heheheee.

DSC01603a.jpg

^^ xD.. looks like I'll be finding a sirloin end very quickly.

p.s... thirdeye does the cure have any specific flavor? Is it OK/recommended to add some rosemary or some brown sugar or maple syrup or something? Or is there a flavor to it?

^^ xD.. looks like I'll be finding a sirloin end very quickly.

p.s... thirdeye does the cure have any specific flavor? Is it OK/recommended to add some rosemary or some brown sugar or maple syrup or something? Or is there a flavor to it?

Yes it has a subtle salty flavor, but it does not mask the flavor of the pork, and the change in texture and smoky flavor you will get just builds on the base flavor. There are some seasonings in there one of which I think is garlic. And there is some sugar.

The basics are only the amount of cure (based on meat weight) and cure time (based on meat thickness). Don't fool with those. You can add other things. I almost always pepper the outsides if my loins with both white and black pepper. You can add sugar, brush on maple syrup toward the end of the smoke, or even inject a mixture of maple syrup and water. You can also season it when pan frying, or put it on a pizza and let it work with the other seasonings you have on there.

If you buy a whole loin, just cut it into 3 or 4 roasts and tweak each one differently. Just use separate bags when curing, and mark them with toothpicks or something to tell them apart when smoking them.

@Thirdeye..
If he buys the whole loin as suggested, after cured and smoked how long will these remain perishable?

@Thirdeye..
If he buys the whole loin as suggested, after cured and smoked how long will these remain perishable?

Well, buckboarded meats are perishable the minute they cool down following smoking...... so they need refrigeration and have a shelf life of at least 4 or 5 days. Treat them like any deli meats you buy at the market. The good thing is that they seldom last that long, so usually it's not a problem. Buckboard is a "flavor cure" rather than a preservation (or "hard") cure.

Now some good advice is NOT to wait a week before vacuum sealing and freezing your leftovers.... Size up the amount you have, fry up some the next day and if you give some away do it right away. If you think you will have more than you will eat in a few days, package it and freeze it. This way it will be in great shape when you thaw some. I make my own labels and date things and also list the eat or freeze by dates. This is important when giving it away.

DSC02386a.jpg

Here are some labels from my friend Mike that even include cooking instructions.

lawnRangerBacon.jpg

Back