Brunswick Stew Recipe

RBoehm

Got Wood.
After seeing the $60 burnt brisket thread and another thread mentioning Brunswick stew, I am looking for a good recipe. I don't have access to squirrel, so the rodent needs to be left out.

I cooked a 11 pound brisket in my USD yesterday and it came out very tasty. I did the low and slow (250 ish temp) as this is where I am most comfortable for now. I think I have my UDS sort of figured out. I added a second ball valve (2 1" valves and a third capped intake). By adjusting the two, neither full open, it held on very well. I did inject it with a derivative of the Jack Daniels roast beef. 9.5 hours total time and somehow I missed the stall. Did the buttah test at 201 and smooth as could be. Rested 3.5 hours in cooler and was still very warm coming out.

Long story short, I'd like to make Brunswick stew. Any help here?

Here's a family recipe from North Carolina (probably from a "church" cook, as the original was for an 85 quart yield).

[FONT=&quot]1 gallon tomatoes crushed[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]7-1/2 pounds meat - cooked (uncooked = 2 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]½[/FONT][FONT=&quot] lb beef, 3lb pork, 2lb chicken)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 20 oz can tomato paste[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]8 pounds potatoes mostly mashed, some in pieces[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]5 pounds onions chopped before or processed after cooking[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1-1/2 pounds Lima beans 2/3 large, slightly mashed - 1/3 small[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1-1/2 quarts corn - 1 pint fresh or frozen, 1-1/2 pints cream style[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1-1/2 sticks butter [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 gallon stock beef and/or chicken reserved earlier [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]? to taste salt and pepper and red pepper[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]1 Tbspn Worcestershire sauce

[FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]Te[FONT=&quot]xas [FONT=&quot]Pete h[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]ot sauce to taste[/FONT]
[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]......................................................................................................................................................................[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cook meat ahead of time. [FONT=&quot]If you braise the meat you can r[/FONT]eserve the broth. [FONT=&quot]O[/FONT]therwise use chicken/beef broth. Chop meat and reserve (freeze unless using [FONT=&quot]promptly)[/FONT]. [FONT=&quot]You can p[FONT=&quot]arboil[/FONT][/FONT] potatoes and onion [/FONT][FONT=&quot]in meat broth.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Start stew mixture with tomatoes. Add cooked meat. Add cooked potatoes, onions and Lima beans.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Add corn and tomato paste last. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] Stir very regularly.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Add butter and seasonings and cook s-l-o-w-l-y for several hours until flavors merge.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Yield is about 5 gallons or 20 quarts.[/FONT]

Brunswick Stew

4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 large Vidalia onion, finely chopped
One 15-ounce can fire roasted tomatoes (with their juices)
4 cups homemade chicken stock
1 1/2 cups barbecue sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/2 pounds smoked pulled pork
Half 16-ounce bag frozen corn kernels
Half 16-ounce bag frozen baby lima beans
Pinch salt and ground pepper
Hot sauce, for serving
Cornbread or soda crackers, for serving

I made this last winter with pulled pork. I am anxious to try it with brisket when there is actually any left over from a cook. My family really enjoyed.

My thoughts for the stew was to use what ever was left over from pork, brisket, etc.

Thanks for the recipes.

Back