THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here goes. I trimmed it up and injected it with beef broth with some garlic powder, onion powder and Dale's added to it. Then sprinkled with salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Put it in the fridge for about 12 hours. Set the smoker on 225 and put it on fat cap down. After about 7 hours it was 150 and I wrapped in foil. Let it go for another 5 hours. Checked it with a probe and it was like butter at the thick end but a little drag on the thin end. (Over cooked and a little dry)
The thick end was excellent. Slices stayed together but was very tender and juicy. Excellent flavor. The thin end was very good just dryer then the other part, but not bad. Best one I have done so far.thanks for the info guys.

Two thoughts. First, I've been trying WalMart briskets for a long time with Meh results. People love them, I'm just not happy with them unless I have BBQ sauce on it. I did a Sam's Club Prime brisket last time and it was as good as any brisket I've ever had. So the meat does make a difference in how dry the flat is.

Second, play around with "under cooked" vs. "over cooked". In my experience, dry may actually be under-cooked. When I've over-cooked the brisket it all but crumbles when I try to slice it. It's a narrow band of "perfect" between under-cooked and overcooked. I usually start probing around 195 in the flat, and I've had briskets go as high as 213 before I decided they were done.

That, Sir, is a fine looking brisket. :thumb:

Briskets are the wild cards - you think you have them dialed in, and you'll get a curve ball thrown at you every now and then. There is no relaxing on a brisket. You need to stay frosty. :-D

Every one is different and that's what makes it fun to cook. :-D

Back