Brisket the Equalizer

I think the reason the data seems to support this is only because the teams that can really cook brisket well, consistently, are the really good teams who can also cook everything else.

YES.

That said, if you view it that way and practice nothing but brisket so that you will be great at brisket that doesn't mean your gonna win a GC, because cooking brisket does NOT translate to the other meats.
I don't think I ever said that.

Those teams got good at cooking brisket while ALSO cooking all the other meats.

Just saying that the numbers show the teams that win GC or RGC are more consistently in the top 1-2-3 of the brisket category than any other category.

Just saying that the numbers show the teams that win GC or RGC are more consistently in the top 1-2-3 of the brisket category than any other category.

I do see what you are getting at, but "the numbers" you speak of.......are they just the 9 (if i counted right) competitions you posted? If so to prove your theory more fully I think statistics require a much larger sample size.

I do see what you are getting at, but "the numbers" you speak of.......are they just the 9 (if i counted right) competitions you posted? If so to prove your theory more fully I think statistics require a much larger sample size.

Agreed. I've observed this all spring, which prompted me pulling the data from this weekend.

The latest Bullsheet results is what made me lead me to this conclusion.

I will do this some more throughout the summer and will post what I find here.

Taking the scores (not placings) of the GC and RGC from the 12 KCBS contest last weekend with results posted (2 contest still not posted), the largest point differences between the top two teams ocurred in chicken, pork, ribs and brisket, in that order.

Chicken avg. point difference 2.91665
Ribs avg. point difference 0.809467
Pork avg. point difference 1.428667
Brisket avg. point difference 0.857133

What does all this mean? To win, you need to do well in all categories but it looks like chicken is where the most points can be gained (at least last weekend, LOL).

Last edited:
A few more facts from last weekends contests.
In both chicken and brisket, the RGC outpointed the GC in 4 of the 12 contests.
The RGC outpointed the GC at 5 contests in ribs and 7 contests in pork.
In one contest, the RGC finished ahead in 3 meats, chicken, ribs and brisket (over 17 points for the 3 meats) but was 24 points behind in pork. At that contest, pork was the great equalizer.

I personally do think that you have consistency across the categories to have a good shot at the GC, but this thread really kind of made me chuckle since I think I fit right into this mold yesterday.

I was fortunate to win GC in New Hampshire with a 1st in Chicken and a 1st in Brisket. :biggrin1:

Tanked in ribs, but overcame it.

It's all about points and not calls or placement as has been pointed out.

What I believe you are seeing is that many of the better cooks, that are capable of winning, have learned to cook brisket well more consistently.

Interesting discussion though.

IMO Pork is the biggest gamble. If you have found a way to CONSISTENTLY win pork you have a great shot a GC. I think if there is one category that a new team can get a call in fairly quick its Pork. I think Pork is the easiest category to do well in and I think its also the hardest simply because of that. I find it to be the true roll of the dice class. My opinions may also reflect my bitterness over pork being our worst category. :)

I think I could have cut-n-pasted this and used it as my own.. I hate pork !.. The issue with pork is that it's very easy to cook. You give a guy who has never cooked, a butt and a brisket, the pork will turn out a lot better than the brisket.

I think I could have cut-n-pasted this and used it as my own.. I hate pork !.. The issue with pork is that it's very easy to cook. You give a guy who has never cooked, a butt and a brisket, the pork will turn out a lot better than the brisket.

Amen. I hate pork. I've practiced it so many times but we just can't get consistent at it. We're all over the board in that category.

If you look at the KCBS standings right now, the top 25 teams in pork have the lowest points of any category which tells me it's more of a wild card than the others.

I am a danger to myself cooking brisket.

When I get a handle on it, I will be a danger to others.

IMO, 4 consistent scores = chance at winning GC. 3 outta 4 is not going to make the cut.

maybe a better way to look at it would be the difference between 1st place and 15th place in each category...I havent looked at the scores from any contests, but my gut tells me the spread is largest on brisket. There are also more unique teams with a chicken call than, there are brisket calls.

Back