Brisket - Smoker and Oven Combo

grazingcattle

Hey All,

I'm planning for a lunch party and am looking to cook a 14 lb brisket for everyone. Since the party starts at noon, I thought I'd start cooking the brisket the evening before and overnight. I don't have an actual smoker but I've used a Weber Kettle in the past. It's a little bit a of a pain to monitor temp so I plan on moving the brisket to an oven for most of the cook after some initial smoking.

I'm thinking about cooking at 250F to speed up the cooking time and break past the plateau easier. Estimating 1-1.2 hours per pound at this temp (total time 14-17 hours).

Here's the method I'm thinking of using:

1) 6pm Friday - Weber Kettle indirect smoke @ 250F for 4 hours
2) 10pm Friday - Wrap in butcher paper, place into oven @ 250F for 10 hours. SLEEP! :sleep:
3) 8am Saturday - Probe and check if it's done. Add on another 1-3 hours if needed.
4) Let rest for an hour or two
5) 12pm - 1pm serve

Thoughts on this BBQ/oven combination cook method?

Do you have a Maverick or something similar to monitor the temps while you are sleeping? Just in case it gets done at 7 am...

I don't think you need that much time People do very good Briskets in Kettles I am sure people will chime in with hot and fast method

I think it's a good plan. Running the snake is fine on the kettle if you can keep turning the grate so the meat isn't directly over the fire. That long of a cook it will be directly over the heat for a good bit of time. I would do the kettle, then into the oven at 225. That way it surely wont be done by the time you wake up. Wake up and crank the temp on the oven to like 300.

The 10 hours in the oven seems a bit long to me. You may get some overcooked meat if you use time vs. a thermometer.

My 2 cents: 1) Start earlier and rest longer. This year I've been resting all of my briskets for 6-10 hours easy...and they will keep 12+ hours no problem. I keep them in the oven on warm aka 150-170 degrees and they've been turning out great. 2) Invest in a Thermoworks thermometer. I bought a ThermaQ this year and upgraded from a Maverick ET-732. I seriously wish I didn't wait so long to get the Thermoworks. It is accurate and reliable, which is exactly what I always wanted.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice all. I'm mulling over the options.

FYI I'm using a 22" Weber Kettle.

Yes, Thermoworks ROCKS! :clap2:

Yes, might stick a thermometer w/alarm in it if I go with the oven for overnight as a precaution. I think I'd want to stick with the 250F in the oven and finish sooner to rest than risk a long plateau and rushing it out for the BBQ at noon.

Back