Brisket Shootout In Progress: Black OPS vs. SPOGOS!

Will the results be null and void since that new smoker WASN'T christened with a nekkid fatty?

This, THIS is just one of the reasons why I like hanging out here and reading all these threads. I'll remember this when I'm getting the new pellet grill ready for its inaugural run. Without the Brethren, I could have offended the BBQ gods.

This, THIS is just one of the reasons why I like hanging out here and reading all these threads. I'll remember this when I'm getting the new pellet grill ready for its inaugural run. Without the Brethren, I could have offended the BBQ gods.

And you would have made Ronelle (Ron L) cry.:laugh:

Dude?!?
b1d1d79871200c757d757c996dd931a0.gif

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Will the results be null and void since that new smoker WASN'T christened with a nekkid fatty?

Well, then we're in luck, because the CTO's inaugural cook wasn't just A nekkid fatty. Oh NO!!.... It was FOUR nekkid fatties!! :rockon::rockon: I just didn't take pictures of them because they were gone before I could even get my camera out! :peace:

Hurry up with the results already. You can cut the tension with a Victorinox 12 Inch Fibrox Pro Slicing Knife with Granton Blade.

Cliffhanger...

Dude?!?
b1d1d79871200c757d757c996dd931a0.gif

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No kidding. Hope it’s not still on the smoker.

We need payoff shots!!

Sorry guys!! They didn't probe tender until around 11 pm last night and then after a couple hours rest, it was well after Midnight when I finally sliced them up for tasting. But, rest assured, your patience will be rewarded...

Last edited:
Drumroll... The results...

Sorry for the delay, as mentioned above, these didn't come off the smoker until late and after a long rest, it was well past Midnight when I finally sliced them up for tasting.

Here's the finished pics; Black Ops on the Left and SPOGOS on the Right. Both brisket's barks tightened up and re-set very nicely when I pulled the foil tops during the last 45 minutes of the cook. They were nearly equal in firmness, but I'd give the nod to the SPOGOS brisket as it's bark was almost "crunchy".

Oakridge_BBQ_Brisket_Shootout_SPOGOS_Black_OPS-12.jpg

Then here's the sliced shots. I guess Homie can still cook a brisket... Black Ops brisket first:

Oakridge_BBQ_Brisket_Shootout_SPOGOS_Black_OPS-11.jpg

Then the SPOGOS brisket slice shot...

Oakridge_BBQ_Brisket_Shootout_SPOGOS_Black_OPS-10.jpg

The results...

The Black Ops brisket was fantastic as usual. For those of you who haven't cooked a brisket with Black Ops, I would best describe the Black Ops flavor profile on brisket as "highly integrated". By this I mean the individual flavors within the rub all tightly combine to produce a defined "singular" flavor. A symphony of sorts, where the flavors all harmonize and become greater than their individual parts. If I were to attempt to describe the Black Ops flavor profile, I guess it almost reminds me of a spicy pepperoni-like flavor when cooked on a brisket for 12+ hours over hickory. Slightly spicy, peppery but not overpoweringly so, savory umami, slightly salty, with garlic and smoke in the background. Certainly not understated and absolutely perfect for brisket.

The SPOGOS brisket really surprised me. The flavors developed over the long cook were markedly different than Black Ops. The first word that jumped into my mind when I took my first (and subsequent) bites of the SPOGOS brisket was "beefy!". Not just a whisper of the word, but a James Earl Jones rendition of "beefy!". The rub is incredibly rich and savory, with so much umami it was almost sensory overload. The first actual flavor I picked up was BIG black pepper, then quickly after a stiff punch of salt; much more so than with Black Ops. Then, the savory and umami richness settled in with the black pepper still hanging on well into the finish. It left a pleasant black pepper tingle on my lips and a concentrated salty/smokey/beefy umami flavor on the palate well after I finished eating a piece. It was actually quite remarkable in it's difference from Black Ops. This is a big, bold rub, and for those who prefer big pepper and salt on their briskets, I think SPOGOS will blow their minds.

And, finally the Burnt Ends were other-worldly...
Brisket Jiggle pr0n video

You certainly can't go wrong with either rub on brisket.

:becky: :becky: :becky: :becky:

Last edited:
Sold, I'll make my SPOGOS order later may add some HDD too, I'm already set with your other products. Thanks Mike.

Edit: I don't see the SPOGOS on your website. When will it be available Mike?

Last edited:
Sold, I'll make my SPOGOS order later may add some HDD too, I'm already set with your other products. Thanks Mike.

Edit: I don't see the SPOGOS on your website. When will it be available Mike?

Our artist is finalizing the artwork for the labels this week, the recipe and nutrition panels are done, so it should be out in less than 30 days.

Hi Mike. Briskets look delicious. When will the SPOGOS be available to order from your website? Thanks!

Back