Brisket run question!

abarmstrong

Name or Nickame
AB
Hello all. I have a question about a brisket combo rub. I’m about to attempt my first prime brisket cook. I’ve got a 16 pound packer that will be going on tomorrow afternoon. I’m planning on using a combination of white lightning from Boars Night Out and Texas beef from Kosmos. Does anybody have any experience using this combo. I also have some Plowboys bovine bold I could use. Any input would be great!

I am not a fan of the Kosmos Texas Beef. It is actually the only Kosmos rub I don't like. I like Bovine Bold, but it is unique compared to some other rubs. Not trying to knock Kosmos at all, I use Kosmos top to bottom for my comp brisket recipe (injection, rub, mop, sauce). The texas beef is just "off" to me. I love his SPG.

Just one man's opinion, if you have used the SPG and like it then I say go for it! Good luck.

I haven’t used that combo on brisket, but both are excellent beef rubs! I would do a medium heavy coat of Kosmo’s and a lighter coat of White Lightning.

As far as temp, I never really noticed a difference in smoke flavor from starting at a lower temp with my pellet cookers. I would base the decision on your timeline. If you have time, a couple of hours at 180 certainly couldn’t hurt.

I am not a fan of the Kosmos Texas Beef. It is actually the only Kosmos rub I don't like. I like Bovine Bold, but it is unique compared to some other rubs. Not trying to knock Kosmos at all, I use Kosmos top to bottom for my comp brisket recipe (injection, rub, mop, sauce). The texas beef is just "off" to me. I love his SPG.

Just one man's opinion, if you have used the SPG and like it then I say go for it! Good luck.

I do have the SPG. I could go SPG and white lightning

I totally agree with you on his Texas beef. I don't like it. I pick up too much of the citrus in it.

I haven’t used that combo on brisket, but both are excellent beef rubs! I would do a medium heavy coat of Kosmo’s and a lighter coat of White Lightning.

As far as temp, I never really noticed a difference in smoke flavor from starting at a lower temp with my pellet cookers. I would base the decision on your timeline. If you have time, a couple of hours at 180 certainly couldn’t hurt.

I’ve got all day to smoke it. I’m probably going to put a 12” tube smoker in there with a mix of hickory and oak

I do have the SPG. I could go SPG and white lightning

That would be my choice based on what you have shared. If you have any cow cover laying around a light coat of that on top would be great for some color.

That would be my choice based on what you have shared. If you have any cow cover laying around a light coat of that on top would be great for some color.

I wish I had the cow cover. That’s the one rub that I have not ordered but wish I had. I don’t smoke beef that much. The last brisket was in Holy Cow. It was ok. Also lookin at the Texas best brisket rib for the future

I wish I had the cow cover. That’s the one rub that I have not ordered but wish I had. I don’t smoke beef that much. The last brisket was in Holy Cow. It was ok. Also lookin at the Texas best brisket rib for the future

I think you will be set with SPG and White Lightning. It will be really light in color when it goes on. You could top it off with any non-sugary reddish rub or black pepper to deepen the color a bit if you are going for that.

I used the Kosmos Texas Beef and wasn't a fan. Isn't the Boars basically an AP rub just like the SPG from Kosmos? I know the SPG seems to be a coarser grind though.

I think you will be set with SPG and White Lightning. It will be really light in color when it goes on. You could top it off with any non-sugary reddish rub or black pepper to deepen the color a bit if you are going for that.

I do have some holy gospel for the color

Back