Brisket Rub for Comps, not the usual question..

As a judge and a table captain that takes careful note of how judges score entries, the most important thing is moistness. After that is balance in flavor.

Interesting, the KCBS weighting would seem to disagree right?

When I was judging I was looking for a good beefy flavor, and tender moist meat. I'm not a big fan of sweet sauce on the brisket, or meat with caked on rub either.
Like everyone is saying - something balanced, but in the background.

Random thoughts inspired by this thread:

1. I can't tell you how much I hate the "cook for the judges" philosophy.
-As a judge, having six samples of nearly identical meat is getting old, especially chicken/ribs. I don't know that that I would score "good and different" higher than "good," but I sure do appreicate the "good and different" more.
-As a future competitor, I know that "cook for the judge" is how comps are won, but its going to take a lot of personal disappointment before I sell out.

2. No pot roast.

3. Pepper flavor one its own is neither good or bad to me (as a judge). However, if it is obviously the predominant and unbalanced flavor, it probably won't score well.

4. I agree with an above poster saying watch the salt.

I may be in the minority of judges, but I truly enjoy something other than the SOS (same old stuff) when it comes to enhancing the natural beef flavor of brisket. I don't want anything that overpowers the beef flavor, but something different than the usual aus jus could be good and score higher in the taste category.

Just saying...

I may be in the minority of judges, but I truly enjoy something other than the SOS (same old stuff) when it comes to enhancing the natural beef flavor of brisket. I don't want anything that overpowers the beef flavor, but something different than the usual aus jus could be good and score higher in the taste category.

Just saying...

I hear what you are saying but do you have any suggestions?

In addition to a good honest beef taste, I also look for a good smoke taste in brisket. Without that, I get the pot roast impression.

Brisket should taste like brisket, not pot roast.

Can you explain to me what this means? What does brisket taste like? How do you distinguish the flavor of brisket from pot roast if they are both beef? This is like saying that pork should taste like pork or chicken should taste like chicken.

How would you describe the flavor to me if I was from another planet and had never had beef? What is the difference in flavor between brisket and pot roast? Assume I am an idiot (I probably am.) and explain it to me like the only thing I had ever tasted was water.

Can you explain to me what this means? What does brisket taste like? How do you distinguish the flavor of brisket from pot roast if they are both beef? This is like saying that pork should taste like pork or chicken should taste like chicken.

How would you describe the flavor to me if I was from another planet and had never had beef? What is the difference in flavor between brisket and pot roast? Assume I am an idiot (I probably am.) and explain it to me like the only thing I had ever tasted was water.

Your brisky does not fall in the "pot roast" category.

Pot roast tastes institutional; think cafeteria beef with no depth in flavors.

IMO the primary difference is texture. And what Steph said, depth of flavor.

If folks are looking for the "true beef flavor"...then stop seasoning it...anything you add will mask it...doubt the judges will go for it though...just sayin'...

If folks are looking for the "true beef flavor"...then stop seasoning it...anything you add will mask it...doubt the judges will go for it though...just sayin'...

Looking for "true beef flavor" x10... Magnified. But not brothy? I LOVE the au jus from brisket! I have always called it "heaven sauce" I could drink it straight, and often save as much as I can to put into just about everything I cook!
Just like prime dust.... Pure beef flavor! YEAH DOGGY!

The flavor is difficult to explain, but if you've ever cooked a beef roast in a crock pot with Lipton onion soup mix and water, then you know the flavor of pot roast. Believe it or not, that is the flavor of at least one entry at just about every KCBS contest that I've judged. As for how that differs from the "normal" brisket flavor, try it yourself and you will see how that "pot roast" flavor is different from your "brisket" flavor - at least I hope!!!

The flavor is difficult to explain, but if you've ever cooked a beef roast in a crock pot with Lipton onion soup mix and water, then you know the flavor of pot roast. Believe it or not, that is the flavor of at least one entry at just about every KCBS contest that I've judged. As for how that differs from the "normal" brisket flavor, try it yourself and you will see how that "pot roast" flavor is different from your "brisket" flavor - at least I hope!!!

So what I am hearing is that if I don't use Lipton Onion Soup Mix my brisket will taste like brisket. That's not helpful.

I guess what I'm getting at is that perhaps we should re-evaluate what is being judged at contests. Brisket is a rub and injection contest.

Like JD said, if I turned in a perfectly smoked brisket with no seasoning on it, I would probably get DAL. Why? You would have nothing but "beefy" flavor because there is nothing but beef. So to say I want brisket to taste like beef is a useless description to a cook. Before you can judge something it needs to be quantified in some way. And since no one can describe what beef tastes like, it has to be the rub and injections that we are judging.

Brisket is a rub and injection contest.

Like JD said, if I turned in a perfectly smoked brisket with no seasoning on it, I would probably get DAL. Why? You would have nothing but "beefy" flavor because there is nothing but beef. So to say I want brisket to taste like beef is a useless description to a cook. Before you can judge something it needs to be quantified in some way. And since no one can describe what beef tastes like, it has to be the rub and injections that we are judging.

If, in your opinion "Brisket is a rub and injection contest" then you have missed the whole point of the contest (IMHO). Judges are NOT judging the rub and injection, but the MEAT and how the rub and injection (if presented that way by the cook) enhances the flavor of the MEAT. Give me that "nothing but "beefy" flavor" and I will probably score the entry fairly high in "taste", as I believe that it IS a meat contest.

As far as the comment "Before you can judge something it needs to be quantified in some way", I guess that you have the answer on HOW to quantify what we are to judge?

This is all about personal tastes and what the judge(s) percieve to be "true beef flavor"...it could be Auntie Rosies pot roast...or a steak from a high end restaraunt, or a tv commercial telling you what "true beef flavor" is supposed to be...most likely it's the flavors that he or she grew up with that floats their boat. For us (as comp cooks) to figure that out is pure luck...flavor wise...now texture is a different breed of critter altogether. I say cook for texture and keep your seasonings and sauces moderate so as not to offend any judge!

Best brisket I ever cooked was salt, black pepper and granulated garlic over a rub of worchestershire sauce and no injection. Lots of smoke. No orange rub to change beefy color, no sauce. Might have to try that this weekend in Harrison...

ya, i was talkin black pepper. thats the taste i get using commercial rubs. I might just be messin them up and its coincedence. I have used Bovine Bold and also The Slabs beef rub just as tests to see what they taste like, but all I get is straight pepper. I dunno. Just find it weird. Thanks guys and i get the whole pot roast thing, but at the same time, good point bigmista, hard to describe the difference

ya, i was talkin black pepper. thats the taste i get using commercial rubs. I might just be messin them up and its coincedence. I have used Bovine Bold and also The Slabs beef rub just as tests to see what they taste like, but all I get is straight pepper. I dunno. Just find it weird. Thanks guys and i get the whole pot roast thing, but at the same time, good point bigmista, hard to describe the difference
PM sent.

Back