Brisket prices through the roof

I had to go see for myself. United Supermarket. Found a really nice 10.5# choice for 2.99#. It was sitting in same bin where all but one other were 4.99#. The butcher was loading up the 40% off bin. Picked up 4 CAB Ribeye 18-24oz. Yellow tagged 7.99# down from 14.99#

I have the ability to be flexible. Restaurant owners at market mercy requires talented inventory management.

Where I pitch my tent may not have many trees but I am surrounded by millions of cattle.

I saw some $70-80 briskets at $3.49 per pound. Never had Black Canyon before.

165871c8dec730dc0fa3cf769903bd9a.jpg

cd48d38a668e3070fc97db1d0c01bed6.jpg

Those are my favorite to cook from Sams, like them much much better than the prime there and better than whatever other brand of choice they often have.

Restaurant Depot in Raleigh, NC is showing $3.54/Lb for Choice (Superior Angus Brand). Last year it went up to $3.79/Lb before it finally started dropping...not much left for me in terms of profit at those prices.

About 2 weeks ago I was at Costco and dithering over the back ribs, trying to make a selection. The meat guy came out and started putting them on the cart. What's going on? Price change, he said. Up or down? Heh! Up, of course. 30 cents a pound. Smithfield Premium back and st louis spares went up to $2.99.

My local Costco says they have no whole brisket in the system (just flats for $6 something), so I was unable to check the price by phone. Last summer the prime packers were around $3.59-$3.79.

A local grocer has a meat sale tomorrow. St louis style spares for $2.27. So I'll see how those look.

For what it's worth, my local Costco in San Jose, CA had Prime packers for $3.99/lb this week. I couldn't find any Choice to compare with.

Still $3.99/lb at Costco near me as of yesterday. Can still get choice and prime at Sam's for low and mid $3.xx/lb respectively which are closer to "normal" prices, which I found interesting.

Local butcher prime brisket is $8.50/# in Maryland . .. Snake river black isnt much more expensive lol.

Stopped by Costco to grab a couple things and saw the prime packers were up to 3.99/lb...were 3.29/lb last time i was there and 2.79/lb earlier in the year...yikes. makes me not feel bad at all for buying that Creekstone Farms brisket at 4.19/lb. All the cut steaks in the cooler had zero marbling. Wonder how much all the cattle lost in the midwest flooding is going to change things this summer.

I just picked up two prime packers at Sams for 3.38/lb.

I called bichelmeyers because I’ve heard good things about their bbq meat. I was told prime was $5.xx/lb and wagyu was 8.49/lb. Seems high but also hard to compare private butcher shops to big box stores.

Brisket prices have been creeping up by about $.10 per day out here. 2 weeks ago I bought brisket at Restaurant Depot (Superior Angus, Choice) for $3.29 / Lb. Now it's up to $4.30 per Lb and it's still pretty early in the summer (summer doesn't actually start for another 2 days) for prices to be this high. I think we might be seeing well over $5/Lb before this things stops.

I wouldn't mind so much but trying to run a BBQ food truck with brisket at those prices is tough.

HEB had prime at 4.99 last week. Highest I've ever seen it. Made buying the wagyu at 5.99 an easy choice.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I was at Costco 2 days ago and brisket was $3.49/lb. Last night, Sam's was at $3.08/lb for choice and $3.68/lb for prime. Of the 3, I am going with the choice...partially due to the price but mainly because they have the Black Canyon Creek brand right now that I am a big fan of.

While I think the popularity of brisket is a factor in the high prices, I think the loss of cattle due to the flooding earlier this year is likely the main cause.

https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/w...019/03/25/midwest-livestock-industry-hit-hard

"So far, the volume of cattle losses in Nebraska is unclear, but was initially pegged at $400 million." So if the supply is reduced due to these floods the price is obviously going to rise for the consumers.

Back