Brisket prices near you

Don't have a Costco near me yet, still.... but it's soon to be built! SOON! At Sam's Club I'm pretty sure they're 2.49 a pound right now for packers. I wanna say they're... Select. I haven't bought a brisket in about three months. My boys all LOVE brisket for their birthdays and "birthday season" is done, so the wife is pretty much tired of brisket for the time being.

Unless some of my local brethren have gotten it cheaper, the going rate I've seen at the local grocery stores out here in Athens (Kroger, Publix) are about 6.99 to 7.99 a pound for the whole packers. Walmart isn't much cheaper, even the one I work at is a little high on brisket.

Just out of curiosity, why would it be super expensive out this way?

Just got home from Kroger and checked out the prices there, all their packers are "fully trimmed" which to me just looked like they cut off most of the fat cap, and they're charging 3.49 a pound. When I go to Sam's on this upcoming Tuesday I'm gonna check the prices again.

I wonder, are they already jumping up the prices over the farking corn shortage? I find that hard to believe, I'd have assumed we'd be seeing a culling of the herds, and the prices dropping, before chit started skyrocketing.

Choice CAB packers around here at Cash & Carry for normally $2.25 to $2.60 / lb.

Just got home from Kroger and checked out the prices there, all their packers are "fully trimmed" which to me just looked like they cut off most of the fat cap, and they're charging 3.49 a pound. When I go to Sam's on this upcoming Tuesday I'm gonna check the prices again.

I wonder, are they already jumping up the prices over the farking corn shortage? I find that hard to believe, I'd have assumed we'd be seeing a culling of the herds, and the prices dropping, before chit started skyrocketing.

A lot of the cow herd has been liquidated over the last few years already. It will probably take several years to build back up.

Sam's here sells flats only (Choice, Angus) for $4.16/lb. Sometimes Wal-Mart has them, but I've never tried them.

We do have a pretty awesome Organic Butcher Shop that sells flats for $6 something/lb. I've ordered from them once, about a year ago, so the price might be higher by now. Nice brisket, but it's not worth the extra cost to me.

It's relatively expensive here. $3-4/lb. for packer briskets, USDA Choice. I don't buy flats so I'm not sure what they go for. There isn't a huge demand for whole packer briskets in this part of the world given that most people cook butts and shoulders so it's not something that goes on special very often either. A couple of big packers will run me the better part of $100.

Check out Wal mart and it is close to that too, but the brisket is not marked with a grade. Is there a 2.50 per pound difference between a CAB and the Wal Mart brisket?

I paid $3.29 per pound a week ago at my local butcher shop. It was labeled choice.
It weighted 11.5# and it was a full packer.

Prices here range $1.99 to $3.49 per lb depending on retailer. Often the issue is not finding the right price... It's just finding someone that carries choice or prime grade. 90percent of what I see is select grade.

Back