Brisket on at 6am... done at 6pm?

It may be just me.... but foiling that low may not allow the collegin to break down, 160 is not past the plateu

What do you think breaks down the collagen? Also, why do you think the foil will not allow that to happen?

I have never cooked a full pakcer either but I have been told that the flat gets done before the point, so you might need to separate the two after the flat is done and then put the point back on...

I have never separated the point from the flat...and I have never cooked a bad brisket.

not to stir your pot...but, i wouldn't bother with foiling at a temp. too much checking/managing/monitering. foil after @ 5 hours if your temps are up. maybe a little later if they're low.

the point is, you don't want to keep opening that cooker to check a temp. it doesn't really matter IMHO. it'll be within the right ballpark no matter what. so why worry about it?

you can tweak later, but for now keep it easy. just give it a check when you foil and you'll know for the future what it was.

Every one's got an opinion on briskets - fat up vs down, hi vs low heat, foil vs. not, inject or not etc...

you're more likely to get confused with all the all the differing opinions.. best suggestion is to figure out what you think is best, try it out then adapt from there the next time etc..

but one pic for thought... After having the opportunity to talking BBQ w/ Paul Kirk a few weeks back, this was just ripe for the posting as I haven't seen it pop here in a while... :heh:

Last edited:
agreed^^^^

thats why i had been suggesting somewhat "middle of the road" practices that are easy and successful.

then it can be tweaked next time around. lower temp, higher temp, foil to IT, no foil. etc etc.

but, yes, vinny is right. pick a process and try it. change it to work for you. :thumb:

I cooked a ten pound packer brisket last weekend at an average of about 230 (fat side up) and expected it to take 11 hours, When I took it off at 9 hours to foil it was already at 198. So unless you have a huge packer, I don't think it will take that long, My learning was that at about 6 hours I am going to start checking the meat temp of a ten pound packer with my Thermapen so I can pull and foil at 160.

Thanks everyone. My briskets past I have tried to avoid foil. I never have so today that's what ill try. It'll be the only thing I change besides a full packer vs just the flat. Cooking at about 250

Thanks everyone. My briskets past I have tried to avoid foil. I never have so today that's what ill try. It'll be the only thing I change besides a full packer vs just the flat. Cooking at about 250

Glad your head has stopped spinning and you have a clear path forward... Please let us know how it turns out, with pron if available! :thumb:

Back