Brisket hep.. Please.

I agree with Matt 100%. When you split a brisket, you release juices that you are trying to maintain in the flat. As meat cooks, the muscles tighten and squeeze juices to the outer edges of the meat while sometimes extracting them. This is why we get pan drippings when roasting large meats and also why we rest meat after cooking. By cutting into the meat, these juices rush out and end up on your cutting board. Unless you plan on turning in your cutting board, I say leave the flat and point connected until your brisket is fully rested at least 30 minutes.

This is quite misleading. When you separate the point from the flat you are not "cutting into the meat". The point and flat are two separate muscles separated by a layer of fat. As long as you are careful you can separate the two of them without actually cutting into any meat at all.

I personally like to cook them together and then separate prior to foiling. This ensures the flat stays moist and allows it to cook up to a perfect tenderness at the end of the cook.

I've had Jeff's brisket slices and burnt ends. Both are excellent. I just hope that I can turn in a brisket that is as good as his - or my son's, for that matter :)

That being said, I have not, yet, split a brisket...of course, I've only tried burnt ends once or twice. Next one I cook, I'll split. Jeff, what's your recipe for brisket, again??? ;)

Divemaster - prior too cooking is a different thing. So yes prior IMO is ok. I thought you split in the middle of cook. I do know guys that do it both ways and do well. I just choose not to.

Huminie - that is not misleading at all. Split a brisket after it is cooked and still hot and tell me what happens. Juices every that were inside the entire roast. I know they are two different pieces but if cooked whole, they share juices and will release by parting them.

Divemaster - prior too cooking is a different thing. So yes prior IMO is ok. I thought you split in the middle of cook. I do know guys that do it both ways and do well. I just choose not to.

Huminie - that is not misleading at all. Split a brisket after it is cooked and still hot and tell me what happens. Juices every that were inside the entire roast. I know they are two different pieces but if cooked whole, they share juices and will release by parting them.

I do it all the time and never lose the juices from inside the meat.

Divemaster - prior too cooking is a different thing. So yes prior IMO is ok. I thought you split in the middle of cook. I do know guys that do it both ways and do well. I just choose not to

No harm, no foul.

FYI, Johnny Trigg is one who splits towards the end of his cook... At least he used to, I have no idea what he is doing this year.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Back