Brisket FAIL - Jerkey anyone?

Its ceases to be brisket chili, once you start adding pulled pork, no?

Yup, at that point it's brisket and pulled pork chili. :heh: While both are great, I think a lot of it, for me, is based on the texture. I prefer the stringy pulled pork texture for a Mexican style Chile Colorado, but for some reason the cubed texture of the brisket for Texas Red. Probably doesn't make any sense, but one of the reasons I like the brisket in chili.

Bob

I moved to L.A., looks like I escaped getting citified. Too much work.

Most of the best brisket in Texas is cooked hot, 275-325 and up. It's also cooked on big smokers with thick steel, using large logs for fuel. I don't understand why you're so confused :)

While it's not the only way, it's the way most successful BBQ folks do it down here.

Franklin BBQ, which has been recently voted Austin's best BBQ, cooks on a pit similar to the one in the Robert Rodriguez video above, and they cook at around 275-325, using large logs and thick metal. People are lined up an hour before they open, and they often times sell out before noon.

I use 12 pounders, it is what fits on the kettle best. I would go bigger if I could. I do cook hotter, around 270F is the minimum. And I use temp to determine when to start probing it, but, not to determine when to pull, that is strictly feel.

I should say I have never used a UDS. But I am thinking along the lines of what jestrige said. Bid brisket big smoker. Most of us dont have a giant smoker and that is what I think I would need to cook a big giant brisket. A 12 pounder will not fit on my offset. Guess im having trouble seeing it fit width wise in a drum too. How big of a brisket will fit in a UDS. Its gotta be hitting the side right?

I have also had so much better luck with little ones. They cook faster, stay jucier and more tender. They also cook in eight hours not 20.

I have a double drum smoker now so under your guys advisement I am going to try one of these giant briskets now.

So, when its done what the heck am I going to do with 18 lbs of brisket? :-D

I should say I have never used a UDS. But I am thinking along the lines of what jestrige said. Bid brisket big smoker. Most of us dont have a giant smoker and that is what I think I would need to cook a big giant brisket. A 12 pounder will not fit on my offset. Guess im having trouble seeing it fit width wise in a drum too. How big of a brisket will fit in a UDS. Its gotta be hitting the side right?

I have also had so much better luck with little ones. They cook faster, stay jucier and more tender. They also cook in eight hours not 20.

I have a double drum smoker now so under your guys advisement I am going to try one of these giant briskets now.

So, when its done what the heck am I going to do with 18 lbs of brisket? :-D

I've never seen a brisket that wouldn't fit on a 22.5" grate...WSM, kettle, UDS...doesn't matter what the cooking vessel looks like if they all use the same grate. If you're cooking on an offset that won't hold a 12# brisket, you must be using a tiny little cooker there.

I've cooked small flats (just to have something to do), but don't enjoy them too much. I like the fat associated with packers much better. Cooking for 20 hours has no glory for me. There's no way I'd do a cook that long if there was anything in my power to avoid it...and there is...it's called temperature.

What you would do with 18# of brisket is beyond me...as is why you would choose to cook two 16#ers to end up with approximately that much meat. On 16# brisket will yield you ~around~ 10#...thereabouts.

What I don't see mentioned here: it is not all about the size........ It is about the thickness.

A 16lb brisky that is 4" thick on one end and 2" on the other end, will not cook as good as a 10lber that is of a fairly consistent thickness, and vice versus.

What you want to look for is a consistent thickness througout, this matter more than weight.

So you guys are sayaing it is not the length of your meat it is the width that counts?

I always have gone with the assumption that it is not how big your meat is it is what you do with it that counts. Sorry, that is old isnt it?

Yep tiny offset. Fire box useless. Small grate. And the lid hits stuff if you try to cover the whole grate.

But now I have one of those double drum wood burning stoves converted to a smoker. The drum is horizontal.

My butcher has absolutely huge briskets.

Working on better control of the heat in my smoker, gonna try fire bricks in the bottom drum to keep the heat consistent.

Then Im gonna do one of those Godzilla briskets.

With a little luck I will be eating my words. And so will a few other people.

I just did a 16lber and although maybe a little dry was tender and cooked very nicely. Here is the thread on how I cooked it. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1614787&postcount=1

The reason I ran it so long at a low temp was because, um, um I was asleep! I would rather have run it low to get a nice smoking and then crank up to 275. I didn't pull it out of the foil until it probed like Buddah. Final IT was around 210 FYI.

Most of the best brisket in Texas is cooked hot, 275-325 and up. It's also cooked on big smokers with thick steel, using large logs for fuel. I don't understand why you're so confused :)

While it's not the only way, it's the way most successful BBQ folks do it down here.

Franklin BBQ, which has been recently voted Austin's best BBQ, cooks on a pit similar to the one in the Robert Rodriguez video above, and they cook at around 275-325, using large logs and thick metal. People are lined up an hour before they open, and they often times sell out before noon.

I agree that Franklin's is to die for. Mind blowing good. But, according to this video, he cooks at 260* - 270*.
http://www.chow.com/food-news/73232/the-art-of-texas-brisket/
When I talked to him, he specifically warned me against cooking too hot. :shrug: Lots of ways to skin a cat. We all know Donnie is a proponent of hot and fast. I'm just saying I don't think it is the temp that makes the cook, but the care and techniques used with those temps.

Not trying to be augmentative, but I'm a little confused by the comment of needing thick steel and big logs. As long as a cooker can hold temps, I don't know why what kind of cooker would matter. UDS and WSM have no problem holding 275-325* if that is what you're going for.

Back